Computer Crashing while gaming temps are not really that high and psu is working correctly

BlitzVader

Prominent
Apr 20, 2017
Hello, i have been having this issue for a while while gaming my home build PC is crashing and i can not seem to narrow down the issue

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz 43 °C
Haswell 22nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 1066MHz (11-11-11-31)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-A-USB31 (SOCKET 1150) 33 °C
Graphics
HP 2311 (1920x1080@60Hz)
DELL SE2716H (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (EVGA) 60 °C

While gaming normally games like Player unknown or H1Z1 or Escape from tarkov the system will just shut off an reboot to a black screen no monitor signal my temps never really get that bad 75-80 at the most on my gpu an around 60 on my cpu i called evaga and was trying to trouble shoot with them they said the PSU didnt seem like the issue either but were really unable to help my gpu Drivers are up to date i have taken it to a shop who ran a 24 hour stress test on it and it never crashed. im kinda running out of options here sadly.

We have tried both sticks of RAM by themselves one seems to last longer than the other but it will crash using either stick or both this weekend we were going to try buying some new RAM to test if it is the issue or not its just really frustrating to not really be anywhere close to narrowing down the issue.( i have cleaned the inside of the pc and do have a secondary monitor to watch the temps while i game and they are no where near temps to cause this reboot,

Solution
Sometimes the games remember a crash and programs it as if it was part of your settings. Thus, the games need to be reset to default settings (then you can go back to personally customizing your settings and controls). Sometimes games call it a 'safe mode' like Call of Duty does, default settings' or something to that nature. I click it, get in the game. If nothing changes I restart the machine. Sometimes the crash will be saved after an uninstall with saved settings so it's not just the uninstall/reinstall that will take care of it. Hope this helps.

Makentox

Estimable
Sep 24, 2016
Have u tried to remove all overclocks? Give modell of your PSU.
Try to check all power cables, make sure they are not loose but tight and firm. both outside and inside.

So your system shuts off and automatically reboots into black screen and then nothing happen? Do you have to manually restart your computer to boot?

Rexer

Distinguished
Sometimes the games remember a crash and programs it as if it was part of your settings. Thus, the games need to be reset to default settings (then you can go back to personally customizing your settings and controls). Sometimes games call it a 'safe mode' like Call of Duty does, default settings' or something to that nature. I click it, get in the game. If nothing changes I restart the machine. Sometimes the crash will be saved after an uninstall with saved settings so it's not just the uninstall/reinstall that will take care of it. Hope this helps.

Solution

Nigel_10

Prominent
Jul 12, 2017
Greetings Bliztvader,

I have the same issue with my comp.
Operating System
Windows 10 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.00GHz
RAM
8.00GB DDR3 @ 800MHz (10-10-10-27)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z97-A-USB31 (SOCKET 1150) 32 °C
Graphics
NVIDIA GTX 1070 (MSI)

It's not an issue with overheating. I monitor via temp probes and physical touch. My issue (and maybe yours) is related to Steam games only. Certain games will crash within minutes or upon loading. It comes and goes which only leads me to believe it is an issue with the stability of the motherboard. It's a hardware issue for sure. I've checked RAM, PSU, CPU and GPU in other comps. They work fine. I've tried updates for windows, steam and my GPU with no success. From the beginning I've had issues with random crashes and also the solid state drive not registering on this MOBO. A bios fix in late 2015 fixed it. There has not been a bios update yet and stability continues to be an issue. Why it is directly related to steam games, I have no idea. But my best guess would be a crap MOBO. It's a pain in the ass to replace, but probably worth it. Or maybe an update will come along for windows or steam and fix this. Personally, I'm just going to replace it. If you ever find a quick fix, let me know. Cheers, and best of luck.

Rexer

Distinguished
Steam games likes to remember 'in-game' crashes. So when it crashes and restarted, the game asks if you want to use default settings since it didn't shutdown correctly. So you check 'yes' and it erases the problem with your game settings.
But if it's effecting all the games, it might be a different issue all together. Could be hardware. Yeah, could be the motherboard. I got one now that's randomly failing. I can see a capacitor with it's blow top expanded on the board. Not all the time does it show physical signs.
I had a failing PSU that took three months to figure out it was going south. Primarily, the symptoms were random crashing in all games, most often in big map games like Battlefield 3 & 4.
I use to have a hardware stress test kit but that was years ago when I worked at a shop. Dedicated computer shops usually have them. They may charge you a little (or a lot) I think we charged $20.
Get a little beeper speaker for your motherboard. so when it crashes, you can get the beep code. You can google beep codes for most boards.
Finding older boards is a headache. They're out there but those who have them want a lot.
I had an uninterruptible power supply unit (UPS) fail like a psu. Radom crashing. What was bad about this was it wasn't giving out no visible or audible signal it was dying. Hope this helps.