Computer crashing while gaming

armandodp

Reputable
Oct 14, 2014
Hey guys,

For some reason my computer keeps crashing when I play games. I had a 7870 and assumed that was the issue so I swapped it for a gtx 970. For 2 days now it was working great no crashes but now today it started happening again. I'll just be playing for like 2 minutes now and it just goes black for a second and turns off. On the 7870 it would occasionally get a blue screen with an error. Checked all the temps and everything seems fine. Help

Full specs :

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @ 3.40GHz
Memory: 8.00 GB DDR3 RAM
Motherboard: ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8B75-M (LGA1155)
HDD: PNY XLR8 SATA 120GB 6Gbps 2.5-Inch SSD
PSU: It's some cheap one I found on ebay (Maybe that's the problem?) Bought it 2 years ago and never had a problem with it though.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quiet-850-Watt-850w-for-Intel-AMD-PC-ATX-Power-Supply-SLI-PCI-E-Large-Fan-/121103590127?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c325622ef

Solution
1. if you have any CPU/GPU/RAM overclocks, drop them to stock
2. if the crashing continues, check the HDD for errors
3. disconnect everything from the mobo and then reconnect
4. create a new windows user profile

if the problem continues, you're more than likely looking at a mobo or PSU issue

given the symptoms (ie. black screen and then shuts down) and it's a cheap PSU, i'd say it's more likely to be PSU related. Sounds like there's a problem with the power being delivered to the GPU

Wayfur

Reputable
Feb 28, 2015
Do you have the latest Catalyst Control Center package from AMD installed? I had an issue with the earlier versions of AMD drivers acting up with Windows 8.1 so that could be an issue, Make sure you have the latest Nvidia ones if you are using the 970.

Do you use an anti-virus? I'd suggest running a scan with that, but ALSO with Malwarebytes after, you can never be too careful.

Or even try another AV, I've seen BSOD's caused simply because of some specific AV that was running.

blockhead78

Distinguished
1. if you have any CPU/GPU/RAM overclocks, drop them to stock
2. if the crashing continues, check the HDD for errors
3. disconnect everything from the mobo and then reconnect
4. create a new windows user profile

if the problem continues, you're more than likely looking at a mobo or PSU issue

given the symptoms (ie. black screen and then shuts down) and it's a cheap PSU, i'd say it's more likely to be PSU related. Sounds like there's a problem with the power being delivered to the GPU

Solution