computer crashing while gaming

trixbeat

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014
My computer about 3 days ago has been crashing to a black screen and then reboots automatically when playing a game, there is no bsod at all when this happens. At first I only played h1z1. While in the battle royale lobby i would crash most frequently. The first crash happened while normally playing, then would crash very frequently when in the lobby. I tried playing dota for a long time and it didn't crash, until the very end of the night of playing. So it's not just one game. I built the computer myself about 1 and a half years ago. This is a recent issue, it has NEVER done this before. My pc has had an issue with hard hanging if that means anything ever since i built it. I've tried prime95 memtest (ran on windows, not from bios) and furmark and each test has not crashed my computer. I tested prime95 for probably 20 or 25 mins and furmark for 15~ while i ran the memtest for 1 hour or so. The max temps for prime95 was 80c and the max for furmark was also 80c which should both be safe. While playing h1z1 max i saw was 69c and in dota it was about 51c. CPU was 63c during h1z1, i forgot my cpu temps during dota but i think it was about 55c or 60c which is still fine! I'm super bummed about the issue... Nothing seems to be overheating, could it be the power supply? I used a program called whocrashed and this is the only thing that has reported from it.

On Tue 2/23/2016 8:46:02 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\022316-4804-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: Unknown (0x00000000)
Bugcheck code: 0xA0 (0xB, 0x2FD450000, 0x3, 0xAA98E000)
Error: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the power policy manager experienced a fatal error.
This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error.
Google query: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR

I don't really understand why it crashes so quickly in the BR lobby, but seems to crash a lot less (for now) in dota

I never changed anything for my pc to just start crashing. So far it hasn't crashed outside of game. As of now my computer is completely reformatted and virus free so that's out of the question, and my drivers are up-to-date on my video card. I tried taking my gpu, unplugging stuff and replugging em back in and still has the issue, all the fans seem to be spinning as well.

If this helps my specs are i7 4790k Gigabyte GTX 770 windforce 4gb z97 asus hero vii 16gb of ddr3 ram, not really sure which it is exactly. I'm also not sure about the PSU is a corsair HX 750W (my cpu is not overclocked, bios is all at stock settings)

Thank you for reading all of this and i'm hoping that this issue can be resolved soon. And if this is in the wrong thread please redirect me to where i should post this.

trixbeat

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014
Just got on my pc, ran a complete memtest86 and not a single error, so the ram is fine. Just tried h1z1 again and crashed at 55c on cpu/gpu in windowed. If anyone has some more suggestions please suggest some, i'm about to try out the ones suggested above.

Petar Raickovic

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
Well honestly 55c is ok temp.... I have to say u will maybe need to reinstall windows... see if that helps i know it's a lest thing to do... but if ram is good cpu too gpu too... U can check your Power supply... I know when PSU is bad when u start games or something PC crashes...

trixbeat

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014
Still looking for help, can't seem to figure out what's going on. Also I did reinstall windows AFTER the issue. Had the psu tested at a local tech place which took maybe a minute and was apparently fine, not sure if it really is especially under load. Could this be a motherboard issue?

Petar Raickovic

Reputable
Jun 13, 2015
yes of course it can be a mobo... you need to check everything you can... Try download Driver booster 3... it's free download all drivers if you didnt... Try update bios on your mobo... the if noting try Other Similar mobo ( but i think u will need to install windows again ) Update again i will follow..... Anyway try other HDD

trixbeat

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014
really need some more help. still having these issues, happening extremely frequently in path of exile. ordered a new PSU but will take at least 10 days to arrive, will post back if does or doesn't fix the issues. i've tried all the suggested ideas in this thread and still nothing works (besides swapping my mobo since i can't do that)

trixbeat

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014
seems like the power supply is making a weird... sizzling sound as if it's cooking something, turned the same game on that shuts my pc off and that's what's happening. my computer is also making some weird popping sounds, not really sure where they're coming from though.

Meeloo

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
Possibly a faulty PSU or the CPU cooler might be overheating. Some PSU's are designed to turn off once it overheats, or uses too many watts. Check how high your room temperature is, if it's over 30c when the PC is operating, maybe open a window and let the air flow in your room.
If that doesn't help then there is a high possibility that it's faulty.

Hope it helps, Cheers!

trixbeat

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014

can't check my room temps but my mobo stays around 27c i live in california and the weather is starting to warm up a bit, but it only feels a little warm in the room. also do you mean cpu temps? if so my cpu temps aren't anything crazy high when they crash, sometimes crashes at 50c sometimes 55c it's just completely random it feels like.

trixbeat

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014

i checked my hard drive to see if it had any errors from the manufactures tools, no errors popped up. i tried running my system with only my HDD and my pc shutdown. then i ran it with JUST my SSD and i still had the shutdown. no viruses/malware that i have found. i have zero tuning tools/registry cleaners. i check my motherboard and it looks great, don't see any of the capacitors messed up. i'm getting a new power supply around march 24-26 so i can try things then and see what's up. and as the graphics card, i don't have another pc to use, the best i can do is to take out the card and use integrated graphics but i'm afraid to start up a game anymore because of the sounds my PSU is making. once i get a new one and i still run into the issue then i'll try that. oh and i don't know if this helps but my +12v averages at 12.192 almost always when out of game, but in the one game i have yet to have a shutdown in it stays at 12.192v and the other games that do shutdown my computer, the voltages drop to +12.000v exact.

Which bios version is installed now?
Did you check the pins of the cpu-socket on the motherboard?

The modular cables of the psu are the original ones which came with this psu?

Standoffs are placed correctly between motherboard and case? Like the motherboard's manual says?

The voltages are looking fine.

Did you try the system without the gpu and just using the integrated graphics?

trixbeat

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014

bios 3003

didn't check the pins on the cpu

standoffs are as they should be

have not tried using integrated graphics yet, i'm going to try that after i get my new PSU if it doesn't fix the issue.