Computer crashing whilst playing graphic demanding games.

NutellaLicka

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Hi all, I'll start by listing my PC Specs for reference.

http://postimg.org/image/dun5mvdtf/

I also have a Razer Black Widow Chroma RGB (2 months old) and Razer Deathadder mouse (over a year old)

So I went out and bought this second hand desktop computer. I came home, formatted the HDD, reinstalled windows 10, updated all the drivers and starting playing Mad Max (for about 10 minutes) on it, when it then crashed. It automatically booted back up to the American Megatrends screen saying the anti surge has detected and surge and shutdown the computer. The computer works fine when using it normally (not computer games) and doesn't seem to skip a beat.

I initially I pointed to the PSU. But after having a good think about the seller and looking into the receipts he had given me with the computer, I noticed it originally had a 900W PSU with it. I questioned the seller and he denied ever knowing the difference. So this led me to believe that he knew about the fault, swapped the PSU (like anyone would thinking it was surging) and upgrade to a 1200W PSU.

I then looked around the motherboard for any components not plugged in, or if I could smell anything, which I couldn't smell anything, but there was a motherboard screw missing, which I was told might not be grounding properly. I sourced a case screwed and put it in there.
I then went on to play mad max for another 30 minutes, thinking everything was fine, and then it shutdown again and restarted with the same screen saying the same anti surge protection message.

So after doing a bit of research, I turned the anti surge protection off in the BIOS and tried again, with no avail. The computer restarted but this time booted with no anti surge bios message.
I was then quick to turn the anti surge protection back on.

I've also tested it out on games like League of Legends (less demanding on the graphics) and it still has had the same issue, about a minute in, it would shutdown.

I ended up doing a heap of testing and not being able to solve the situation.
I then sent it into a computer store. They ran the computer overnight using Heaven Benchmark 4.0 software and couldn't replicate the fault. (They said my computer ran extremely well within the benchmark software {100fps at ultra}). I told them to run mad max, which they did, left over night running and still no replication. I paid them $70 to tell me they couldn't replicate the fault, yay! They suggested to me that it may be my computer keyboard and mouse shorting out my system, as I could leave the system running and rendering games without it shutting down (leading me to believe its not an over heating issue) but as soon as I started walking around and playing the game it would shutdown.
I'll add they also did testing on my RAM and HDD and they both came up fine.

Note that these shutdowns varied from being 45 minutes at one point, down to within a minute at another.

I borrowed a friends Corsair keyboard and mouse and the same problem still occured. This made me think it was my USB ports doing the shorting, not the actual keyboard and mouse.

I unplugged the USB headers for the front of the case and used the USB ports directly on the motherboard. Still shuts down.
I plugg the front headers in and only used them. Same problem.
I used a combination of front and back, same problem.

I decided to look at the case. I unscrewed my motherboard, unplugged non essentials, and put the motherboard on a box beside the case. Ran the computer and within 10 minutes, shut down.
I then reinstalled the motherboard and replugged everything back in, still shuts down.

So at this point in time I had narrowed down the following:
PSU (as well as using a different wall plug in my house)
RAM
HDD
Asus annoying anti-surge
USB ports shorting
My keyboard or mouse shorting
Case

My next step is to test out the Graphics card. I plan to get a friends graphics card into the system and doing some testing. This will help me determine whether my graphics card is doing anything funky.

I'll add that I have been using open hardware monitor to monitor my temperatures. They have been all fine apart from the ones on the motherboard, some of the sensors have been showing 100+ degrees celcius (which obviously isnt the case). I believe it is just an incorrect sensor detection.

When I run games there are no anomalies with the temperatures that I have noted.

If anyone could help me that'd be great. I'm hoping I haven't missed anything too obvious to try, and am willing to give anything a go.
My thoughts from here are to test the graphics card, maybe try reapplying the heatsink, and then possibly buying a new motherboard.

I'm sure I may have missed some things in here, as i've been dealing with this problem for the last month, but i'll do my best to proof read and reply with any other information that is required.

Cheers,

Edit: After benchmarking 3 times in a row (each consecutively worse than the last) I finally got the screenshot details.
http://postimg.org/image/f8thq5f3n/

NutellaLicka

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
http://postimg.org/image/jakx5phdj/

Picture of my temps. As stated above, I believe its an incorrect temp sensor.

Adding to everything now, It has started shutting down even without using my keyboard and mouse. I ran the benchmark software for a few hours, when I came back it had shut down. So my plan is to go out and by some thermal paste and re apply the heatsink to see if thats the problem.

I believe the airflow through my case is pretty good. Not really sure how I can test that, other than monitoring temperatures whilst in a game which I have done, and none seem to go above 60 degrees Celsius other than the Graphics card, which is standard to run at 80 degrees Celsius.

westom

Distinguished
BANNED
Mar 30, 2009
You assumed a problem rather then learn what the message reported. You did not 'follow the evidence'.

An ignored surge message reported a fact. You assume that message caused shutdowns. Then turned off the message rather than address a problem that message was reporting.

First some concepts. Normal is for a defective part to work for months. That always defective part will cause intermittent crash even months later. Then may cause harder crashes maybe years later.

Second, foundation of a computer is its power 'system'. That 'system' is many parts; not just a PSU. A defect in that 'system' can make other good parts act defectively (intermittent shutdowns).

Third, power off is controlled by a power controller - not by a surge detector.

Until numbers are provided for the computer's 'foundation', then every reply can only be wild speculation. Many use shotgunning. Keep replacing good parts until something works. Surge message said what to do. Numbers are obtained using a meter, some requested instructions, and minutes of labor. Without those numbers, then a fewer who really know this stuff have nothing to work with; cannot reply.

Defined is why a problem remains undefined after much work on items completely unrelated that surge message. Long before changing anything, first obtain facts that actually define what needs fixing. Above is how a different diagnostic method works - and why.

NutellaLicka

Reputable
Oct 3, 2015
Answer was the power supply unit, fancy that! Turned out to be some shitty brand that I could find no information about. Just bought a Corsair RM750i and it works a charm