[SOLVED] computer crashing

NatCopeland

Prominent
May 24, 2020
my computer is randomly crashing, it seems to happen mostly while im playing games, such as wow, but i cant replicate it, as sometimes i can go hours without a crash and other times it will happen every 10 minutes

specs:
i7-9700k
z390 aorus pro
corsair cx750m
samsung 860 evo
msi geforce gtx 1060 6gbg
g.skill ripjaws v series 16GB (2x8)

in event viewer i get:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly. Event ID 41

i have tried doing ram test and it said everything was fine,
updated drivers,
fresh install of windows,
gpu benchmark, cpu stress test and it didnt cause crashes.
updated bios.
and then yesterday i unplugged psu (was going to switch it but didnt, got confused since the cpu pins where not the right shape for the motherboard) and plugged everything back in and it went into a boot loop and motherboard light was going between cpu and dram so i removed one ram stick and it was back to booting up right but still randomly crashes.

realised the memory test i did was windows memory diagnostic, so im going to try memtest86 now and if that doesnt work try to switch the psu , as its the only spare thing i have around that i can test.

did 4 passes in memtest with 0 errors
swapped psu and hoping for the best

Last edited:
Solution
Would have helped if you listed your specs.

Four passes of memtest86 isn't necessarily enough to find intermittent bits, I've once had a bad DIMM that didn't show errors until the 6th pass so I usually let memtest86 run for 12+ hours whenever I get new RAM or suspect RAM-related issues. Unless the memory error lands in kernel-land though, you should get a crash report instead of a power event. Those are usually power-related, though not necessarily caused by the PSU itself.

InvalidError

Titan

Four passes of memtest86 isn't necessarily enough to find intermittent bits, I've once had a bad DIMM that didn't show errors until the 6th pass so I usually let memtest86 run for 12+ hours whenever I get new RAM or suspect RAM-related issues. Unless the memory error lands in kernel-land though, you should get a crash report instead of a power event. Those are usually power-related, though not necessarily caused by the PSU itself.

Solution

NatCopeland

Prominent
May 24, 2020

yep i updated the specs just before you posted, and i dont have the pro version of memtest so it stops after 4, im thinking it is the psu, and im currently on a new psu with no crash about 2 hours in but thats not that unusual on my old one

InvalidError

Titan
If the CX750 has an entirely black and white model number, then it is a newer (2017) model and is of decent quality. If the CX is printed in green, it is an ancient model on the crappier end of the quality scale and definitely suspect.

As for memtest86, instead of using PassMark's commercially prettified GUI version, you can use the open-source text-only memtest86+ one.

NatCopeland

Prominent
May 24, 2020
If the CX750 has an entirely black and white model number, then it is a newer (2017) model and is of decent quality. If the CX is printed in green, it is an ancient model on the crappier end of the quality scale and definitely suspect.

As for memtest86, instead of using PassMark's commercially prettified GUI version, you can use the open-source text-only memtest86+ one.

ohhh i might try that open source one then overnight, and the cx750 is black and white i didnt realise there were two different ones, i had heard that it was pretty suspect and i assumed it was the one i had