Jul 23, 2019
Just built a computer and wondering what you think the problem is

SPECS,
Ryzen 5 2600
Rx 580
Corsair rgb pro ram 3000mhz
Corsair 650 vs series
B450m-a

I built it when I went to turn it on nothing happened no fans spinning no boot nothing just wondering what is thought to be the problem built it for my little brother and when I went to work he got a little excited and tried to finish it himself got home and he was upset because his computer didn’t turn on took it apart and realized he had put way too much thermal paste (it was non conductive) when I took it off there was thermal paste all over the cpu and some got into the motherboard socket not much of it but a bit also got some thermal paste on the sides of the cpu and some on the pins I got as much as I could off the cpu and I think I did a pretty good job I got all of it off the pins on the cpu didn’t break or bend any pins but i could get some from the middle of the cpu there was also some scratches on the top of the cpu I heard that’s not a big deal would the fans on the mother board run if the cpu was completely dead or no?

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Hello my friend, it will be worth covering every single step in this guide first to cover all the obvious: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...ng-about-post-boot-no-video-problems.1285536/

You mentioned the thermal paste issue, the problem is what may be perfectly fine looking pins at the surface level, there could be underlying contamination or damage underneath. If the steps in the guide above do not work, try breadboarding the system entirely to see if you have any luck. After that, you may have to order new parts as warranty will probably be void on self inflicted damage unfortunately.

You would have to diagnose each component to ensure that it wasn't the thermal paste, however there is also every possibility it could have caused a short.