Question Computer diagnostic help

Jan 5, 2022
Wife's computer shut down. Cleaned it out thinking she overheated it. It started back up and ran a while, then shut down again. Now it won't boot up. All it does when you push power button is turn fans on and motherboard lights up, then it shuts down and repeats. Im leaning towards it being cpu since power turns on and it keeps cycling trying to start up. Thoughts?

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
To start off, what's the model and/or specs of this PC?

Unfortunately, with this limited information, I could guess anywhere from the power supply, motherboard, RAM, to the CPU.

If I had to guess (for fun), I'd say the RAM. Next guess would be the PSU.

Jan 5, 2022
To start off, what's the model and/or specs of this PC?

Unfortunately, with this limited information, I could guess anywhere from the power supply, motherboard, RAM, to the CPU.

If I had to guess (for fun), I'd say the RAM. Next guess would be the PSU.
Motherboard is Gigabyte z390
RAM is corsair vengeance ddr 4 2 8 gb
CPU is intel i5-9400f 6 core 4.1 ghz

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
There's a little bit to work with. I'd start by removing 1 stick of RAM then trying again. If nothing, remove and insert the other. Perhaps even try different slots.

You may want to give it (some) time as the motherboard may attempt to train the RAM to run at a different frequency as the configuration has changed. This is normal. The process of training RAM is very similar to the abnormal behavior the PC is currently exhibiting.

Sometimes simply reseating the RAM fixes the issue.