computer died during windows update

Kiara_3

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
my computer died during the windows 10 update, i had to restart the update. will it re download everything onto my laptop?

Most of the issues w/ Win 10 come from the OS's default behavior of installing hardware updates for you. Even if you installed the manufacturer's driver, Windows would say "Hey this isn't mine and remove it and reinstall the one it preferred.

You can turn this off by following the instructions here:

Turn off Windows ability to install Hardware drivers
http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8013-windows-update-

MS had announced a fix for this in which it used a rather interesting method of preventing this. All MS drivers will be assigned the same date ... and old date ... say May 01, 2006. When WU runs, it decides whether or not to install their driver by the date. So if you just installed the latest GFX driver (dated say 2 weeks ago) yesterday and the new MS driver comes out today, WU will uninstall the one you installed on purpose from the manufacturer's site and replace it with their own sketchy one. No matter how many times you installed the correct one, it would replace it.

By changing the MS version to a date older than that which no current hardware manufacturer would have, the OS should **think** that the newer driver is the one that should be there and won't replace it. Not sure what happens when MS comes out with a newer version ... if they all have the same date, then ?

No word yet on how well this will / will not work. But the safest bet is to turn the setting off.