[SOLVED] Computer displays will turn off while gaming, computer becomes unresponsive but still runs.

Feb 16, 2021
Specs: i7-4790k @ 4.00 ghz
Z97-PC MATE MSI Motherboard
32gb ddr3-2200
RTX 3070 FE
650 watt psu
512 gb SATA SSD

I've been having trouble with my computer, just about last night my computer became completely unresponsive, my CPU fans would not spin, however everything else would seem to function properly. I reseated every part in my computer, making sure there was no dust at all in the components. After doing this I got my computer to boot again, but I was still having troubles with black screens I would see while gaming. The black screens would happen every hour or so, but became less frequent. I had made sure all my drivers were up to date, no issues with video card what so ever, as it is a brand new part I just got a week ago. I believe the problem is coming from the PSU, as my old video card, my zotac 1070 would not have this issue. I think part of the reason is the 3070 being more power demanding, combined with an old psu causes a lot of stress under heavy loads causing a video card failure. But this cannot be the case, as my CPU would have issues just turning off as well. One odd thing is that some of the LED fans that are plugged into my psu will be powered on, the lighting will come on but no fan spinning. I do not believe its a mobo issue though I did not rule that out. My power supply is about 4~6 years old. If anyone has anything they would like to suggest, please let me know!

Solution
It's all in chinese, it came with my prebuilt pc I had gotten a long time ago before I got into building pcs. All I know is that its 650 watt

Good lord, this is like buying a sports car and then putting on tires you found in a dumpster of an abandoned building. I've seen generic Chinese PSUs that claim to be 650W that couldn't handle 200W of +12V power.

This shouldn't even be run without a proper, safe PSU in there. You'd be pretty bummed if you destroy very expensive equipment because you didn't spring for the safety equipment that it requires and if you're already having issues like this, that's very likely how this tale ends.

We house a curated PSU list here for newbies...

DSzymborski

Titan
It's all in chinese, it came with my prebuilt pc I had gotten a long time ago before I got into building pcs. All I know is that its 650 watt

Good lord, this is like buying a sports car and then putting on tires you found in a dumpster of an abandoned building. I've seen generic Chinese PSUs that claim to be 650W that couldn't handle 200W of +12V power.

This shouldn't even be run without a proper, safe PSU in there. You'd be pretty bummed if you destroy very expensive equipment because you didn't spring for the safety equipment that it requires and if you're already having issues like this, that's very likely how this tale ends.

We house a curated PSU list here for newbies.

High-end GPU that uses high-end power and costs high-end money? Tier A or bust, really.

Solution
Feb 16, 2021

We house a curated PSU list here for newbies.

High-end GPU that uses high-end power and costs high-end money? Tier A or bust, really.

Is there any programs that I can use to watch my power supply output? I just blew out all my money on that new video card and although PSU's are cheap I need some time to get a new one, so I wouldn't like to risk my new parts being completely fried by the time I'm able to afford a new one

DSzymborski

Titan
Is there any programs that I can use to watch my power supply output? I just blew out all my money on that new video card and although PSU's are cheap I need some time to get a new one, so I wouldn't like to risk my new parts being completely fried by the time I'm able to afford a new one

No, the specialized equipment would cost 30 PSUs. Unfortunately, your options are to take a huge risk or wait to use your GPU. There are few things more expensive in computers than a cheap PSU.