[SOLVED] Computer does not display once a day.

Jan 16, 2020
Hello,

Lately I have been having a really weird problem.When I boot my computer for the first time every day I get a black screen.I can listen to windows sounds etc in the background but no display.The only way this problem can be fixed is by force shutting down the computer for about 4-10 times.Even though I can hear sounds in the background pressing the power button just once does not initialize the shutdown process I have to keep it pressed until it shuts down.At first I thought it was an SSD problem and that it is dying on me.I bought a different SSD and the booted from there the problem continues to exist.I have tried to use different cables,different monitors,clear CMOS,install an updated BIOS,format,boot from HDD,SSD,reseating everything in the computer,changing ram configurations,unplugging all but the OS drive,changing SATA cables,changing SATA ports.I really dont know what to do anymore.

Solution
I'd try a different monitor and cable. Assuming you have speakers for sound (and you're not using monitor speakers), the symptoms sound to me like the video card and monitor aren't detecting each other when you first start up. So either the video card is sending output to a different port, or the monitor is switching to a different input port.

Unfortunately, if this is the case, there's no easy way to determine if the culprit is the cable, monitor, or video card, without swapping them out for a different cable, monitor, or video card. In that order since that's easiest/cheapest.

If the monitor has controls to let you manually select the input port, you can try toggling that to force it to accept Displayport input. That would fix...

Ferimer

Distinguished
Hello,

Lately I have been having a really weird problem.When I boot my computer for the first time every day I get a black screen.I can listen to windows sounds etc in the background but no display.The only way this problem can be fixed is by force shutting down the computer for about 4-10 times.Even though I can hear sounds in the background pressing the power button just once does not initialize the shutdown process I have to keep it pressed until it shuts down.At first I thought it was an SSD problem and that it is dying on me.I bought a different SSD and the booted from there the problem continues to exist.I have tried to use different cables,different monitors,clear CMOS,install an updated BIOS,format,boot from HDD,SSD,reseating everything in the computer,changing ram configurations,unplugging all but the OS drive,changing SATA cables,changing SATA ports.I really dont know what to do anymore.
Sounds like a graphics card problem, are you using the onboard graphics or a GPU?

Ferimer

Distinguished
You could try it on a different monitor and see if it could be the monitor. it could be a problem with your graphics card. I would try the monitor and see if that helps. if you have a laptop or anything that can connect to it and see if it keeps causing a problem. You did change a lot of variables to be able to determine something that could have been simple. Trying a different graphics card might be an option to and see if it boots up right away. I would also double check and make sure everything is fully plugged in and in the right place.

Jan 16, 2020
You could try it on a different monitor and see if it could be the monitor. it could be a problem with your graphics card. I would try the monitor and see if that helps. if you have a laptop or anything that can connect to it and see if it keeps causing a problem. You did change a lot of variables to be able to determine something that could have been simple. Trying a different graphics card might be an option to and see if it boots up right away. I would also double check and make sure everything is fully plugged in and in the right place.
what makes me really confused is that if it boots normally then for the rest of the day it does not happen again even if I shut the computer down a lot of times.It only happens every time I wake up(so after about 8 hours of the computer being shut down)

I'd try a different monitor and cable. Assuming you have speakers for sound (and you're not using monitor speakers), the symptoms sound to me like the video card and monitor aren't detecting each other when you first start up. So either the video card is sending output to a different port, or the monitor is switching to a different input port.

Unfortunately, if this is the case, there's no easy way to determine if the culprit is the cable, monitor, or video card, without swapping them out for a different cable, monitor, or video card. In that order since that's easiest/cheapest.

If the monitor has controls to let you manually select the input port, you can try toggling that to force it to accept Displayport input. That would fix it if it's the monitor which is getting confused and looking for input on ports other than Displayport (although it wouldn't be a long-term solution since you'd have to do it every time - still need to fix the culprit).

Another possibility is that the motherboard is initially trying to use your CPU's onboard video instead of the video card. I've seen this happen a couple times on motherboards with both onboard video and a discrete GPU, and the BIOS setting to choose between the two set to auto. Try setting that explicitly to plug-in GPU.

When you shut down for a short time, the computer doesn't actually turn off - a little bit of power is still sent to some components. During an extended shutoff, some timeout is probably exceeded which causes the monitor or video card to go into a deeper powersave state, which causes the two to lose contact with each other. So the next time you power on, they're left searching for each other again.

Solution
Jan 16, 2020

If the monitor has controls to let you manually select the input port, you can try toggling that to force it to accept Displayport input. That would fix it if it's the monitor which is getting confused and looking for input on ports other than Displayport (although it wouldn't be a long-term solution since you'd have to do it every time - still need to fix the culprit).

Another possibility is that the motherboard is initially trying to use your CPU's onboard video instead of the video card. I've seen this happen a couple times on motherboards with both onboard video and a discrete GPU, and the BIOS setting to choose between the two set to auto. Try setting that explicitly to plug-in GPU.

When you shut down for a short time, the computer doesn't actually turn off - a little bit of power is still sent to some components. During an extended shutoff, some timeout is probably exceeded which causes the monitor or video card to go into a deeper powersave state, which causes the two to lose contact with each other. So the next time you power on, they're left searching for each other again.
I am using a 2700x with no onboard graphics but I guess it could still try to go through the onboard.I have also tried plugging the DP into the other ports of the gpu no success.I have tried forcing the input signal of the monitor no success.I have used an HDMI cable nothing.I guess my only chance is going for the BIOS settings thanks a lot.

Jan 16, 2020

I went ahead and checked the BIOS settings and it does not allow me to change the setting for the main displaying card.It is defaulted to external GPU.

Jan 16, 2020
Do you have a tv ? You could try that and see if that changes anything
I have an eizo monitor.I tried forcing the input signal but nothing tried switching the cables but nothing .I also changed port to the cable on the gpu side but nothing.finding a different monitor or gpu is hard.But I will try to find someone to borrow from.I also contacted ASUS and waiting on their response.

Jan 16, 2020
One thing I noticed though(might be random because sometimes it turns on after 1-2 shut downs)I left it turned on for about 10 minutes hoping it would show a signal (it didnt happen)and after 1 shut down it booted normally.

Ferimer

Distinguished
However what I'm suggesting is to just use a tv and HMDI and see if it will connect to that one shot as it could possibly be a loose port in the back of your monitor or gpu card. Make sure that the GPU is snug in there and not wiggling too much make sure to hear it click just dont try to force it too hard as you could damage your mother board.

Jan 16, 2020
However what I'm suggesting is to just use a tv and HMDI and see if it will connect to that one shot as it could possibly be a loose port in the back of your monitor or gpu card. Make sure that the GPU is snug in there and not wiggling too much make sure to hear it click just dont try to force it too hard as you could damage your mother board.
I will try with a tv too I will update when I have results.

Jan 13, 2020
I think we may be having the same issue, see my thread I made earlier today. I built the computer on 1/15 and have experienced this 2-3 times, once per day after the first time booting it up. Although I have not had my headphones on to test for sound, I cannot shut it off using the power button, even holding it down or pressing it numerous times. I’ve checked all my connections and they seem to be fine. GPU doesn’t wiggle at all. Cutting off power to the PSU for about 45 seconds fixes it, but it’s irritating for sure. Will be watching to see if you find a solution, and I’ll let you know if I get an answer.

Specs:
Ryzen 5 3600
Nvidia RTX 2060 Super
Corsair RMx 750
B450 Tomahawk MAX
G.skill Aegis 3200 MHz RAM
H60 AIO
Thor v2 case
Dell 24” gaming monitor overclocked at 144hz, connected with HDMI

Update: Same issue just occurred after leaving it off for about 4 hours.

Last edited: