Computer doesn't POST when all 4 RAM Sticks are inserted

Justplayingagame

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014
Originally, I had all 4 sticks of ram in my computer setup with the 1Gb, 2 Gb, 1 Gb, 2 Gb configuration and everything worked fine. I then attempted to update my BIOS to get a new graphics card to work. Both times I updated the BIOS it was successful, but it wouldn't boot to POST and required a lot of work to reset the CMOS. Upon, getting my computer to post the ram refuses to work in any configuration other than while in channels 1 and 3, 1 and 4, or 2 and 4. It will also run when a single stick is in any channel. The issue to me seems to be that the computer does not get to post when the RAM is in dimms next to each other. When they are next to each other I get the beep code indicating a memory issue. I have tested all 4 sticks and each dimm individually. The mother board is an Intel DH77KC. Any input is appreciated.

Solution
The best place to start is your MB manual. It has all the BIOS options explained. The first thing you should do is set "optimized defaults" and then set up the memory timings and speed and then anything else that might need setting. Usually (for intel based MB's) enabling XMP Profile1 will set up the memory correctly unless you have sticks faster than 1866MHz. Some AMD based boards now have XMP too.

Justplayingagame

Reputable
Dec 24, 2014

I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to the bios department. Any way you could post a tutorial of sorts?

The best place to start is your MB manual. It has all the BIOS options explained. The first thing you should do is set "optimized defaults" and then set up the memory timings and speed and then anything else that might need setting. Usually (for intel based MB's) enabling XMP Profile1 will set up the memory correctly unless you have sticks faster than 1866MHz. Some AMD based boards now have XMP too.

Solution