Computer doesn't turn on

mcgroot70

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
Hello,

This is my first time posting on Tom's Hardware. I recently built my first computer, but when I went to turn it on, the power button on the front did not work and the power supply kept making a high-pitched, faintly audible noise. The fan wasn't spinning either.

I thought it might be the power supply, so I performed the paper clip test and it worked fine because the fan spun and the HDD and ODD both received power. I also made sure that the HDD LED, Power Switch, Power LED, etc. cables were plugged in correctly to the JFP1 port. I am now thinking the problem is related to the motherboard. I just don't understand how something in the motherboard could prevent hardware in the power supply (ie. the fan) from working. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Mac

P.S. This is my setup
motherboard: MSI H67MS-E23 (B3) H67 LGA 1155 R
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500 3.3GHz
PSU: Corsair 500CXV2
Memory: 4 x 2 Gb Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
Graphics: VGA EVGA GTX560 1Gb
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1Tb SATA
ODD: HP DVD1270I

mcgroot70

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2012
@nikorr
The power supply is brand new; it was manufactured in 2011 and I literally opened the box for it about a week ago. After reading some reviews for it I realized that the high-pitched noise is normal, but the lack of power for the motherboard obviously isn't.
I don't think removing the gpu would be beneficial because the motherboard does not have an onboard graphics chip.

@anonymous1
I would have to buy another one. However, I don't think that is the problem because it works fine when it has a paperclip and is not connected to the motherboard.