Computer dosent turn on unless I unplug every USB device, display, and ethernet

Mar 25, 2018
When I try to start up my pc, it only makes a very faint clicking noise. To start it up I have to unplug every single USB device, display, ethernet, and everything else except the power cord going to the power supply. I've tried sending back my motherboard, power supply, and graphics card. I've also tried reseting my PC but nothing has worked.
SPECS:
CPU: I5 8600K
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB)
GPU: MSI GTX 1080
Motherboard: Asus z370 PLUS
PSU: Corsair 750W
HDD: Seagate 1TB (Basic hard drive)
HDD2: Some random 500GB for extra space.
Displays: Asus 144hz 24inch moniter, BenQ 27inch moniter.

Solution
Did you assume it was 'All' usb devices, or did you actually try booting after removal of them one by one. There was an issue with some USB devices causing feedback at boot, which would shut the pc down basically as the psu thought it was shorting out. I've seen it on joysticks, external drives, USB hubs and even a reused keyboard that had a short in the wire.

It's entirely possible you have an issue with one or two devices and only multiple boots with devices plugged in will tell.

In bios is also the option to disable USB ports at boot, either partially or fully, just for that reason. Partial will usually enable mousr/keyboard and maybe 1 other labeled port, but disable the rest.
Mar 25, 2018

I can try that. But im assuming so, yes.

Mar 25, 2018

After doing this and directly plugging it into the wall, I solved some of the other issues with my computer as in, displays weren't working correctly and all that. But I just tried starting it up, and it still makes the faint clicking noise and dosent start up unless all USB devices, displays, and everything is unplugged. After finally starting it up though when I unplugged the USB's and all, it started up just fine the second time I tried. Not sure why this is.

Mar 25, 2018

I will for sure try this, but i did not have this issue or any issue with any of my USB devices before I upgraded my PC recently. I've already sent back my PSU before to corsair, and they said it was fine.

Mar 25, 2018

i recently upgraded my Cpu, mobo, and ram.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Did you assume it was 'All' usb devices, or did you actually try booting after removal of them one by one. There was an issue with some USB devices causing feedback at boot, which would shut the pc down basically as the psu thought it was shorting out. I've seen it on joysticks, external drives, USB hubs and even a reused keyboard that had a short in the wire.

It's entirely possible you have an issue with one or two devices and only multiple boots with devices plugged in will tell.

In bios is also the option to disable USB ports at boot, either partially or fully, just for that reason. Partial will usually enable mousr/keyboard and maybe 1 other labeled port, but disable the rest.

Solution
Mar 25, 2018

One of the biggest issues too is right after the computer boots up successfully 1 time, it seems to bootup okay for a while after that. I feel as if it's impossible to test all the usb devices, because the computer won't boot up if only the usb devices are removed but also the displays. Would you like me to list the usb devices I have connected to my pc?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You said you recently upgraded the mobo, did you go to the vendors website and dl the latest motherboard chipset drivets/bios? Or just running windows drivers? Almost sounds like a pcie/USB buss failure. That could be drivers but could also be the psu power connectors are not fully seated or a pin is pushed out of the socket and not making a good connection.

Mar 25, 2018

I did update my drivers to the best of my ability. Also, I just started up my pc, here's the problem I have been faced with.
I don't have my front I/O connector hooked up so I use a screwdriver and touch the 2 prongs together to try and start it up. Whenever I try it after leaving my PC on for, lets say overnight, it will not start up but instead make a slight clicking noise not even attempting to start up. I then unplugged everything 1 by 1 to see if it would work. Unplugging all of my usb devices did not work. At this point the USB's weren't plugged in, so I decided to unplug my moniter stuff (Displayport cable, HDMI, and a DVI). When I unplugged my HDMI, no budge, but when I unplugged my Displayport cable, it started up. So after taking out all the USB's, Ethernet cord, and everything except the DVI cable, the computer started up no problem and works fine. After that I shut it down, plugged the Display port cable back in, and started it up again no problems. The problem seems to persist after a large period of time?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, so pc did not boot until finally unplugging the DP. So my question is, did you try then rebooting with everything else plugged back in except the DP? If it did, that would mean there's some issue with just the DP, either a shorted cable, messed up port on monitor or gpu etc, but leaves the rest of your pc still healthy. It'll boot with dvi, so I'm doubting a failed gpu, pcie buss is still good or the card wouldn't work at all.

All I can see for sure is that DP is bad somehow, I don't see it as a cascade issue. I believe it's also tripping the psu protections, so it's possibly backfeeding through the ground. I'm thinking that plugging all your usb back in will not affect the pc, I'm believing it's a DP cable/port issue

Mar 25, 2018

I will try and unplug the display port then reboot and see if it works okay. If that's the issue, i'll just have to buy another DP cable. I will post updates on how this goes.

Mar 25, 2018

After days of working with this, i've come to find out the display port is the issue with the PC. Sometimes the pc wont startup, but when I unplug it, it starts up perfectly fine thank you for the suggestion. I'm not sure what the issue is, but i'm currently at a friends house and can only plug my pc into a power strip/extension cord and my display port, and hdmi dosent work on my moniter. Only the DVI works now which is what i'm currently running on. Is there any reason why this is?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Break out the reading/magnifying glasses and look inside the DP on the card, one of the springs inside might be bent and shorting out. Or it could just be a quality control issue with the soldering on that particular port is bunk and shorting out at the board.

Dvi-d, DP, hdmi are all the same digital quality on a 60Hz monitor, so there's really no difference between the 3 other than the connectors. You'd need to be pushing over 120Hz monitor before changes become apparent, needing dual-link dvi or DP for 144Hz monitors.

Mar 25, 2018

True. Thank you for the response though and helping me find the solution this far. I've not had many issues with my pc other than when plugging it into a power strip, it does not work completely. But I will have to see if there's another solution for that.