Discussion Computer engineering course situation: Portable now or desktop PC now and portable after ?

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
Hello, in 3 years I am thinking of undertaking a computer science degree course, already planning something (I know Phyton and Java). Right now I need a computer, my options for the future are 2:

1) get me a fixed PC for € 1000 (Intel core i5-12600k) with the confidence that in 3 years it will be able to support the workload of the entire computer engineering course (I think so) so as to keep it in my future apartment. And take a laptop in 3 years when I start the course to have it during the lessons.

2) get a laptop now because that's enough for the calculations I perform on the PC and keep it in 3 years and then keep it for the entire duration of the degree course hoping that when it reaches the second and third year it will be able to withstand the workload of the calculations that they do.

In your experience, how do you see it? I accept any kind of advice.

kanewolf

Titan
Hello, in 3 years I am thinking of undertaking a computer science degree course, already planning something (I know Phyton and Java). Right now I need a computer, my options for the future are 2:

1) get me a fixed PC for € 1000 (Intel core i5-12600k) with the confidence that in 3 years it will be able to support the workload of the entire computer engineering course (I think so) so as to keep it in my future apartment. And take a laptop in 3 years when I start the course to have it during the lessons.

2) get a laptop now because that's enough for the calculations I perform on the PC and keep it in 3 years and then keep it for the entire duration of the degree course hoping that when it reaches the second and third year it will be able to withstand the workload of the calculations that they do.

In your experience, how do you see it? I accept any kind of advice.
Desktop. Laptops progress faster and have very limited upgrade capabilities. Get the laptop as late as possible.

Reactions: Grealish01

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
thanks, a PC desktop can last 8 years, that's the time frame that would serve me. as I have no experience I ask

kanewolf

Titan
thanks, a PC desktop can last 8 years, that's the time frame that would serve me. as I have no experience I ask
8 years or a week and a half. There is no predicting when mechanical things will fail. You could get a lightning strike and take out all the electronics in the house. So if you have important information, you need to have an automated backup routine that includes an off-site copy of your important data.
I personally follow the 5 year replacement rule for desktops. 8 years may be enough that you will not tolerate the low performance, relative to current hardware.

Grealish01

Great
BANNED
Jan 22, 2022
8 years or a week and a half. There is no predicting when mechanical things will fail. You could get a lightning strike and take out all the electronics in the house. So if you have important information, you need to have an automated backup routine that includes an off-site copy of your important data.
I personally follow the 5 year replacement rule for desktops. 8 years may be enough that you will not tolerate the low performance, relative to current hardware.
thanks for the advices

TRENDING THREADS