Computer failing to boot.

Deikon_1

Reputable
Jul 9, 2017
Not sure if this is the right section.

Custom built PC, been working fine for a few months. Recently it has started doing this error where it is running and will then cut out with no warning whatsoever. It will then retry the boot constantly and it will fail constantly. Sometimes i will unplug it and leave it and it seems to be working when i turn it back on after 10 minutes unplugged, but a few hours later it will fail again. When it fails the CPU debug light flicks on and off as the pc turns off. Ive recorded a video of what the debug lights do, the top light being the CPU and the other being the GPU. I have no clue what's up after googling for a while.

https://youtu.be/QePeM1lOsrE

Solution
Understood. At this point, I'm guessing that your EVGA NEX power supply may be the culprit. Do you have a spare PSU or have a friend that could loan you one? The other option, would be to reach out to MSI support. They should have some insight into this particular issue. Either way, please continue to update this thread.

Addendum: My first step would be trying a different power supply to eliminate to confirm it as the problem. But my second step would actually be to contact EVGA support; it's 24/7. I think they would be a helpful resource, much more than MSI, in assisting in the diagnostic process. Your NEX power supply has a 10 year warranty. If they think it's the cause of your problem, they would allow you to RMA it...

Deikon_1

Reputable
Jul 9, 2017
PSU: EVGA 750G
CPU: i5-7600K
MoBo: MSI H270 Intel PC MATE
GPU: ASUS Nvidia Dual GTX 1060-6GB
RAM: 2x 8GB sticks of crucial RAM
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB

Question: Where did you get the stock Intel CPU fan. I ask because the i5-7600k does not come with a cooler; none of the 'K' designated kaby lake or skylake CPUs do. But since the H270 does not support overclock anyway, it might be okay. However, this brings me to my next question: What temperature does your CPU reach while gaming, or whatever you're doing moments before it cuts out? Please run HWmonitor, play the game (or task) for 5 minutes, then report the temperature here: http://www.cpuid.com/downloads/hwmonitor/hwmonitor_1.31.exe

FYI: I already checked your motherboard manual, but all it states is that a blinking CPU debug light means "indicates CPU not detected or failed".

I also checked the BIOS updates for your board, but they were mostly for improved compatibility with the Intel 750 and Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs.

Another question: You undoubtedly have the 24 pin ribbon cable connected from the power supply to the motherboard. However, did you also connect the 8 pin 12V ATX cable from the power supply to the motherboard? I recommend checking this first, before proceeding with my initial suggestion of checking the CPU temps.

Deikon_1

Reputable
Jul 9, 2017
Yep assuming the 8pin ATX cable is labelled on the MoBo as 'CPU_PWR 1'. As i said its been working fine before.

The temperatures it reaches are around 50 - 60C on the CPU and about 70 - 80C on the GPU (Dont play intense GPU games). Stock fan is from an i3 I used to own. Thermal paste was applied correctly etc. I don't believe its a temp issue as i let the board sit for a few hours and when i launch it it failed again almost instantly. When it fails is seemingly random. In the last three times it first failed about 2 minutes after boot, 2nd time was just as it reached the BIOS screen and the 3rd time was about 15 minutes in. I think that eliminates software issue but it still makes no sense to me.

Understood. At this point, I'm guessing that your EVGA NEX power supply may be the culprit. Do you have a spare PSU or have a friend that could loan you one? The other option, would be to reach out to MSI support. They should have some insight into this particular issue. Either way, please continue to update this thread.

Addendum: My first step would be trying a different power supply to eliminate to confirm it as the problem. But my second step would actually be to contact EVGA support; it's 24/7. I think they would be a helpful resource, much more than MSI, in assisting in the diagnostic process. Your NEX power supply has a 10 year warranty. If they think it's the cause of your problem, they would allow you to RMA it, or you could even do an advanced RMA. It would allow you to get a replacement (probably refurbed) power supply sent to you first and then you would send them your current unit. This process would require you to provide a credit card number to them, in case you didn't return the unit to them in time. Personally I would do the "Advanced RMA" option. Then my 3rd step would be to reach out to MSI support. That's just the way that I would do it, but it's up to you.

EVGA support: (888) 880-3842

Solution

Deikon_1

Reputable
Jul 9, 2017
I do not have either I'm afraid. MSI support is offline until about 2AM my time I believe (I'm in the UK). I will endeavour to contact support but whether or not it will reach a simple resolve I'm doubtful. I am trying to find EVGA's live chat but I don't think I can see it, meaning I'd have to ring up but not sure people would appreciate me being on the phone at 22:50. Thanks for your help anyway.

Visual inspection of the MoBo doesn't reveal any faults and it genuinely works seamlessly until it randomly fails. I just had it working for around 30 minutes and then it just switched off again, without warning. There's no stuttering or anything or unnaturally heavy loads on either the RAM or the CPU, it just goes. Poof. I am lost for a solution.

Deikon_1

Reputable
Jul 9, 2017
[strike]Okay I've since replugged the CPU across every plug and it may have fixed the life span issues. However, now it just doesnt boot. The LED lights on the GPU to indicate the VGA cable is giving it power however it will not boot at all. It will flick through on the Debug but halt on VGA for about 5 seconds then turn off. Every time. The GPU should not be damaged and the power light comes on with power. All the peripherals boot up but there is no screen output. Tested multiple HDMI cables in the two separate ports. Does this mean the GPU is the issue or could I have missed a plug somewhere?[/strike]

Turns out my monitor crashed.

Deikon_1

Reputable
Jul 9, 2017
I believe I've fixed it, so unbelievably apologetic for the time you wasted on this rcald but I have just rebuilt the PC from the ground up and it seems to be working... my thoughts are that there was a loose connection from the PSU. Literally a 5 minute issue took several days. I apologise again. Thanks for being so helpful though.