Question Computer Fails to Boot(Now)

athulien1

Reputable
May 7, 2018
Hey guys, I have been experiencing issues with my pc as of late, and was wondering if someone had a solution.
Specs to set stage
Maximus XI Hero Wifi LGA 1151 socket
I5-9600K
Cooler Master 212 Hyperwhatever(The biggest one with single fan)
ROG STRIX 1080TI
Corsair CS650x bronze PSU
8x2 3200 Trident G Skill Memory
2 250 Sandisk SSD
1 Toshiba HDD
About a month ago the computer started to freeze mid-game, and would refuse to continue any application, or respond to anything at all. No task manager, no f4, no nothing, other than a hard reset. I initially thought it was a hard drive problem for my boot drive. I replaced the boot drive with a new 500GB Samsung SSD. The problem has persisted.

I might add that unbeknownst to me, my BIOS automatically overclocked my CPU to 4.4 GHz from the normal 3.7GHz tuning, for like a year straight. I detuned it in the settings and the problem seemed to have gotten a little better, but simple titles like Rome Total War would refuse to run beyond 10 minutes or so.
I could still use the internet without a problem AFTER I detuned processor. I did memcheck, GPU is still in good shape I think, all fans are working.
Weird thing is all of my stuff is running within acceptable temperature parameters as well, CPUZ and GPUZ read everything well, and memcheck was satisfied with my RAM.
I thought the PSU could use an upgrade, so I went to a new RM850X I installed today, used all new cables mind you, and cleaned the computer, processor heatsink out etc.
Still does not boot at all, goes to the loading dots screen with the ROG display but fails to go beyond that. I can sometimes get into BIOS.
Sounds really stupid of me to ask but is it my processor? I've never really had one fail before, and I don't want to keep throwing money at something that has no apparent solution.
Any help appreciated, thanks

Lutfij

Titan
Are you sure you got the make and model of the PSU right? Corsair have a CS series but last I checked they don't have anything that ends with an X. Are you working with this unit;
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Supply-Units/cs-series-config/p/CP-9020077-NA
?

If so, how old is was the unit in question?

I can sometimes get into BIOS.
Your motherboard has a BIOS recovery feature;
page 3-31, section 3.11.3, ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3. See if that helps bring some semblance to the build.

My gut feeling is that the BIOS on the motherboard got corrupt, a reflash should help. Once you've verified that the BIOS as flashed to the latest successfully, you might want to try and clear the CMOS. You do so by disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then replace the CMOS battery after 30 mins. See if that allows you consistently get into BIOS after the prompt.

Please be wary that your BIOS settings will reset so having them on a piece of paper would help you two fold.

2 250 Sandisk SSD
Can you expand on these..?

athulien1

Reputable
May 7, 2018
Are you sure you got the make and model of the PSU right? Corsair have a CS series but last I checked they don't have anything that ends with an X. Are you working with this unit;
https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...Supply-Units/cs-series-config/p/CP-9020077-NA
?

If so, how old is was the unit in question?

I can sometimes get into BIOS.
Your motherboard has a BIOS recovery feature;
page 3-31, section 3.11.3, ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3. See if that helps bring some semblance to the build.

My gut feeling is that the BIOS on the motherboard got corrupt, a reflash should help. Once you've verified that the BIOS as flashed to the latest successfully, you might want to try and clear the CMOS. You do so by disconnecting from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, then replace the CMOS battery after 30 mins. See if that allows you consistently get into BIOS after the prompt.

Please be wary that your BIOS settings will reset so having them on a piece of paper would help you two fold.

2 250 Sandisk SSD
Can you expand on these..?

CX650M, my apologies. You are correct. I bought it new in 2017, so going on about 6 years now.
I can get into BIOS now, but nothing beyond that.

2 Sandisk 250GB SSD
1 is my boot drive, the other one is for storage, I have always booted with SSDs since I discovered how much faster they are at boot and load speeds opposed to HDD.

Update, I got somewhere, I did the BIOS flash, and got it updated, and was given this message
"Please enter to recover BIOS setting
CPU FAN ERROR!!
After setting up Intel Optane Memory or the RAID configuration was built, SATA Mode selection must be changed to RAID mode to avoid unknown issues
Press F1 to run SETUP"

Does this mean my intel driver is the thing that is screwing everything up? How do I proceed, I am not a novice when it comes to BIOS, but I surely am not an expert.

Thanks again

Lutfij

Titan
In spite of it being a unit purchased in 2017, is it the green label unit or the grey label unit?

When I asked about the Sandisk SSD's, I meant the models of the drives.

After the BIOS update, did you clear CMOS? Set SATA controller option to AHCI if you weren't on RAID

athulien1

Reputable
May 7, 2018
In spite of it being a unit purchased in 2017, is it the green label unit or the grey label unit?

When I asked about the Sandisk SSD's, I meant the models of the drives.

After the BIOS update, did you clear CMOS? Set SATA controller option to AHCI if you weren't on RAID

Grey label unit. NOT THE CS, it is the CX650M RPS0029 https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CP-9...tronics&sprefix=cx650m,electronics,213&sr=1-3

Sandisk SDSSDA 2.5" SDSSDA-240G-https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-SDSSDA-240G-G26-Version-Internal-Mounting/dp/B071F29249
New Drive is Samsung 870 EVO SATA- https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08QBMD6P4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I cleared the CMOS, date was reset to 2019, which was manufacture date I assume, as well as replacing the battery with a new one. I set the SATA controller to AHCI again. Fruitless it would appear.

I am now getting a blue screen, KERNEL ERROR, as well as WHEA error. Code 78 on mobo, on occasion, but not every boot, 8/10 times it will A0/O normal boot transfer to OS. Pretty much the same thing that I have been experiencing on a new drive, as the old one. Perhaps a driver on something has something to do with it? Maybe windows??

Lutfij

Titan
There's a green labelled CX unit as well, in case you didn't know which is the dreaded unit in the CX line, hence the questions. It's been known to take other things out besides itself. When you said you replaced the boot drive with the Samsung, did you clone the OS or did you reinstall the OS? Can you recall what the storage controller was set to prior to the BIOS flash? As for CSM was that enabled from the get go in BIOS?

athulien1

Reputable
May 7, 2018
There's a green labelled CX unit as well, in case you didn't know which is the dreaded unit in the CX line, hence the questions. It's been known to take other things out besides itself. When you said you replaced the boot drive with the Samsung, did you clone the OS or did you reinstall the OS? Can you recall what the storage controller was set to prior to the BIOS flash? As for CSM was that enabled from the get go in BIOS?
I see, fortunately I did not get that green labeled PSU!

I did not clone the drive at all, I made a fresh partition in the Windows Installer I used from a USB drive, and it worked for a while, again under light loads the whole deal was fine, but once I fired up World of Warships, the system froze like 10 minutes into the game.

I was concerned whether I may have malware additionally that I was unaware of that I wanted to get rid of, and just in case with the driver compatibility and everything, I opted for a fresh install, I don't mind fresh starts anyway.

I have no idea what storage controller was active prior to flash, and the CSM I have no idea, apologies but I am ignorant. I have since tried to change the boot options from Windows Boot Manger Samsung, with primary option set there, or to simply the drive, and I also tried the USB.

Other than my processor, I also reseated, and re plugged every device in.
Solved the CPU fan issue though, turns out for like 3 years I haven't had it plugged in the right slot, so a small victory I suppose :)

I'm half tempted to just buy a different processor and plug it just to see if it works, I sort of plan on keeping that PSU, unless I really don't need it.