[SOLVED] Computer Fails to Boot with Too Many USB Devices

SwissxPiplup

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
Hi there,

I never knew it was possible to have too many USB devices, but now I know. Apparently having more than 3 USB devices connected causes my computer to fail at booting, it doesn't even load the BIOS, just a black screen with the fan spinning up and down on repeat.

I'm not sure if this is an issue with not enough power from the power supply, or maybe a motherboard issue, or perhaps even something else completely; what would I need to do to make the computer work properly with more USB devices connected?

Some important bits to note:
  1. The computer works fine if I plug more USB devices in AFTER it has finished booting.
  2. I have a total of 4 - 2.0 ports, 6 - 3.0 ports, and 2 - 3.1 ports; 2 of those 2.0 ports and 2 of the 3.0 ports are on the front, the rest are on the rear.
  3. This only began after the most recent Windows 10 cumulative update (It used to boot with up to 7 USB devices, maybe more but 7 is all I had attached).

I'm looking to purchase 3 VIVE trackers which apparently require a separate 3.0 USB port each, so I'd like to get this computer up to par before I do get them.

SPECS:
Motherboard: B450 AORUS M
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700 Eight-Core Processor
GPU: Radeon RX 590 Series

Thank you!

Solution
Very likely that the immediate power demand (at boot up) to provide power to more than 7 USB devices is more than the PSU can provide.

And adding more devices will just make things worse.

What you will probably need is an independently powered USB hub that has its' own power supply.

The hub connects to one PC USB port and then provides USB power to some number of USB devices that are connected to the USB hub's individual ports.

Google "powered USB hubs".

Then as you read and learn revise the search criteria to fit your requirements. Then after you have found 2 or 3 viable hubs look for product reviews and visit the applicable manufacturer's websites for User Guides/Manuals, FAQs, and Forums.

Pay attention to footnotes and...

Ralston18

Titan
Very likely that the immediate power demand (at boot up) to provide power to more than 7 USB devices is more than the PSU can provide.

And adding more devices will just make things worse.

What you will probably need is an independently powered USB hub that has its' own power supply.

The hub connects to one PC USB port and then provides USB power to some number of USB devices that are connected to the USB hub's individual ports.

Google "powered USB hubs".

Then as you read and learn revise the search criteria to fit your requirements. Then after you have found 2 or 3 viable hubs look for product reviews and visit the applicable manufacturer's websites for User Guides/Manuals, FAQs, and Forums.

Pay attention to footnotes and fine print. Pay attention to what is said and what is not said. Screen out marketing hype and generic verbiage such as "compatible with".

And do not forget that you may need more USB cables.

Solution

SwissxPiplup

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2015
I didn't know USB hubs had a powered variant, I thought they were all powered via the USB port itself, this will certainly make things much easier; I'll be sure to research before buying one, thank you very much!