[SOLVED] computer fan suddenly 2x louder after cleaning

john scoot

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
I cleaned my pc yesterday by just blowing the dust off with my mouth and now when i turn it on the fan noise is always the same (loud), while before cleaning it would be extremely loud for 10 seconds when booting and then immediately go silent but now its always loud. Can someone explain what happened? (before cleaning everything was normal)

Solution
Loud as in the fans are spinning quickly, as they do at start up? Or loud as in it is making a bad noise now?

Fans do go bad over time and bearings can make a lot of racket when the fan is near the end of its life. Dusting it off like that can over-spin the fans, not usually a big deal. Could just need more dusting to balance the fans back out, best to turn the system off and clean the fans with physical wiping (I use Q-tips / Cotton swabs)

If they are just spinning really fast for no reason, I would check temperatures. You might have dislodged the CPU cooler or something. Check all of the fan wires, make sure they are firmly inserted into the board, a missing RPM sensor wire might drive them to full speed. Depends on the system in...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Loud as in the fans are spinning quickly, as they do at start up? Or loud as in it is making a bad noise now?

Fans do go bad over time and bearings can make a lot of racket when the fan is near the end of its life. Dusting it off like that can over-spin the fans, not usually a big deal. Could just need more dusting to balance the fans back out, best to turn the system off and clean the fans with physical wiping (I use Q-tips / Cotton swabs)

If they are just spinning really fast for no reason, I would check temperatures. You might have dislodged the CPU cooler or something. Check all of the fan wires, make sure they are firmly inserted into the board, a missing RPM sensor wire might drive them to full speed. Depends on the system in question and the type of fans on that one.

Solution

john scoot

Reputable
Aug 6, 2019
i went into bios to put the rpm of the cpu fan to max and then down to min and found out that the fan that it wasnt the cpu fan. i think its the psu fan that is loud for no reason out of the sudden. should i buy a new psu or will it last like this for long enough, or maybe is it normal for it to become very loud for no reason overnight?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
It is not normal.

Generally, yes, if the PSU fan is not working you would replace the power supply. They aren't the safest things in the world to take apart. Check the warranty though, might be able to get a replacement unit from the manufacturer.