Question Computer fans/hard drives ramp up then BSOD

Hey so as my title suggest I'm experiencing some odd behavior while playing games. I will be playing Dota 2 and everything on my computer hardware wise would ramp up and Blue screen and then will reset. The sound was primarily coming from the last mechanical drive I had a WD Black 1 TB. I ended up replacing this drive and bought a 860 EVO 1TB drive. I thought it was over but I'm still getting this to occur just not as noticeable my fans will start to ramp up to a high level and then BSOD and reset. Any thoughts? I know my setup is starting to get a little long in the tooth I just haven't had a reason to upgrade yet maybe when PCI E 4.0 becomes newly adopted or DDR5 since I'll have to change to a new memory standard if I upgrade. Any help with this would be really appreciated thanks.

My current setup

i7 4790k
ASUS Z97 Hero
Kingston 16GB DDR3 1866
ASUS STRIX Nvidia GTX980
ASUS Essense STX sound card
1x Samsung 950 PRO m.2 SSD 256GB
1x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
1x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB

Which version of the BIOS are you on for your motherboard? You forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. The OS is on which drive? What OS are you working with?

All fair questions I'm currently running Windows 10. My bios is 3201 which is the last public release build that was non beta. The OS is on my nvme drive the 850 evo. I also have an AX850 from Corsair I've had it since 2012.

Last edited: