Computer for my dad.

Solution
For what you say you're Dad is going to be doing, you could probably drop down to an A6 processor. Unless he's storing a LOT of files on his computer, you can probably drop the HDD entirely and maybe put that money towards a larger SSD.

Other than that, you're probably spending more than you need to by building. This Gateway PC will more than meet your Dad's needs at just over half the cost of your build.

Of course, if money isn't a concern, there's nothing wrong with your original build.

-Wolf sends

Wolfshadw

Titan
For what you say you're Dad is going to be doing, you could probably drop down to an A6 processor. Unless he's storing a LOT of files on his computer, you can probably drop the HDD entirely and maybe put that money towards a larger SSD.

Other than that, you're probably spending more than you need to by building. This Gateway PC will more than meet your Dad's needs at just over half the cost of your build.

Of course, if money isn't a concern, there's nothing wrong with your original build.

-Wolf sends

Solution

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
That Gateway is a good deal just add the second 4GB memory stick for dual channel memory and add a SSD.

On your build a 400 watt would be a better choice, running the PSU at a lower % of max.
And if you get a SSD the HDD doesn't really need to be 7200 RPM.

shadows1234

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014
no no no way do not get that gateway i mean it while it looks decent the psu is the worse thing ever it is something named chicony and fails almost all the time i have read countless times were that computer and similar ones have failed due to the psu i would only buy it if changing the psu i actually bought that computer for someone and it did the same thing i can post a picture of the psu to confirm it to you if you wish

shadows1234

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014

really the one one i have in my closet is the exact same with a chicony psu it stopped working so i just kept it in my closet since im gonna try to get it out to show a screen shot of it but anything is better than a chicony psu trust me when i say that

negold

Reputable
May 8, 2015

Thank you! I will drop the processor to an A6, and I may just drop the SSD entirely, and just use the hard drive, or I might drop the Hard Drive and just use the SSD as he isn't really downloading anything to my knowledge.