Computer freeze/crash repeatedly - unidentifiable issue.

Quib37

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014
Hey all,

Around 2-3 years ago I constructed my own system for mainly gaming/heavy duty purposes, and over the few years I've upgraded various bits just for better performance. I've never really had any major problems until last year, where the system would freeze (usually when playing high-performance games, or having various tabs open with other windows/programs on both monitors. Eventually, the system started freezing on the littlest of programs, eventually resulting in it freezing on startup, to then not starting up at all. I sent it to a computing store where they analysed it, and supposedly fixed the system.

It was perfectly fine for around 6 months, until recently I noticed it had started freezing on startup, most notably on the 'Starting Windows' page. I didn't think too much of it, and just restarted via the push-button and it would usually startup fine. However I recently got some new memory; upgrading from 8GB to 16GB, and since then I've seen various problems with the PC. Firstly, the renowned error/problem of Installed Memory: 16GB (7.89GB usable). Secondly, the system started freezing much more often - again usually when dealing with high performance games.

On the first issue, it may too be noteworthy that while CPU-Z recognizes that there is 16GB of RAM in the system, the BIOS only detects 8GB. However, I recently updated and reseated, and weirdly both PC properties and the BIOS were showing 16GB with 16GB usable - until the system froze, in which the BIOS reverted to only seeing 8GB, and PC properties saying 16Gb (7.89GB usable).

It may be noteworthy that the only component/s that have not been changed are the mobo, the HDD and the power supply.

System:

Processor: AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz
RAM: Corsair XMS3 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1333Mhz (CMX16GX3M2A!333C9)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 660 2GB
Mobo: ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3
PSU:G7 780W ATX

Things I've already tried/done:

-Reseated the RAM and switched positions/slots.*
-Updated BIOS to latest version.
-Manually set RAM Max Voltage to 1.5V (the limit the label on the sticks say)
-Defragged/Cleaned everything on HDD
-Manual clean of all fans, cooling systems and the case itself.
-Updated all drivers (updateable).

And aid or construction is greatly appreciated (and preferably a working fix!) - it's a ah heck trying to fix systems and I'd preferably like mine in working order :)

Quib37

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

It's never posted a dmp because the PC doesnt' treat it as a crash (no BSOD or anything, just the repeated frame of any sound that was playing (which kills my headphones), and the screen/s freeze), so perhaps a poor choice of wording from my behalf - freeze is much more suitable.

Quib37

Reputable
Oct 29, 2014

Only 41's I've recieved are from when I've restarted via push-button as it doesn't register with windows as a system restart but a crash. (rather annoying)