Question Computer Freeze during gaming

ElementCZ

Reputable
Feb 27, 2016
Hello, I am currently experiencing some really frustrationg issues with my computer. About 3 months ago I installed custom water loop and everything was perfect. I OCed CPU to 4.8 GHz and my GPU to +100 core clock and +500 memory clock.
However roughly month ago I started experiencing freezes during gaming sessions. So I was thinking maybe the clocks on GPU are too high so I put it to base clocks and let it boost on its own. And it solved the problem. Nevertheless 2 weeks ago freezes started occurring again even though core temp was around 50 °C max. So I turned the voltage to 90% max and it solved it again for few days. But today it keep freezing again after lets say 20 minutes of gaming.

I was wondering if there could be problem with memory chips overheating. Or the GPU riser could be causing the problem. And only thing I can do during freeze is hard reset

Setup
CPU: i5 9600k + Velocity water block
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti Gaming OC 11GB + Water block from aliexpress since I couldnt find anywhere else (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32818056669.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7b1c4c4dZ8J9E3 )
Connected VIA -> Fractal Design VRC-25, PCI-E riser card
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk
Memory: HyperX Predator 2666MHZ 2x8GB
HDD: WD 1TB
SSD1: Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB
SSD2: WD 256 GB NVME SSD
Case: Fractal Design Vision S2 RGB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

Picture

Lutfij

Titan
Mind sharing your watercooling gear with us as well? Just so we know you're alright with the radiator surface area and heat dissipation. Include the fans used for the watercooling setup.

You might want to see if the issue happens without the riser card. I know there's going to be a lot of tearing down involved but that's the life of troubleshooting a system, tearing things down to rule out parts.

Include the games you're working with and where you sourced them from.

Reactions: ElementCZ

ElementCZ

Reputable
Feb 27, 2016
Mind sharing your watercooling gear with us as well? Just so we know you're alright with the radiator surface area and heat dissipation. Include the fans used for the watercooling setup.

You might want to see if the issue happens without the riser card. I know there's going to be a lot of tearing down involved but that's the life of troubleshooting a system, tearing things down to rule out parts.

Include the games you're working with and where you sourced them from.

Sure :)

Gear is as follows:
Everything is bought from EKWB (except the gpu block as stated, ahh and also the flow meter)
EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM (incl. sl. pump)
EK-CoolStream PE 360 (Triple)
EK-CryoFuel Solid Cloud White (Premix 1000mL)

FANS: intake 3x
Prisma AL-14/PWM
and 1x exhaust also
Prisma AL-14/PWM
EK-ACF Fitting 10/16mm - Nickel
EK-DuraClear 9,5/15,9mm 3M RETAIL

I was experiencing it in 2 more HW demanding games
Anno 1800 and Assassin's Creed Odyssey both bought and installed from uplay
However I was also playing Diablo III from battlenet and there weren't any issues, but I thought that it is due to its less HW demands.

Gonna try to plug it in the motherboard directly if the tubes allow it without having to take it apart since I ordered new thermal pads with which I would like to try to replace the ones used on the GPU block when they arrive.
7d98fd42797a0f545a064e230221cdeb-full.jpg

Jul 28, 2019
Hello, I am currently experiencing some really frustrationg issues with my computer. About 3 months ago I installed custom water loop and everything was perfect. I OCed CPU to 4.8 GHz and my GPU to +100 core clock and +500 memory clock.
However roughly month ago I started experiencing freezes during gaming sessions. So I was thinking maybe the clocks on GPU are too high so I put it to base clocks and let it boost on its own. And it solved the problem. Nevertheless 2 weeks ago freezes started occurring again even though core temp was around 50 °C max. So I turned the voltage to 90% max and it solved it again for few days. But today it keep freezing again after lets say 20 minutes of gaming.

I was wondering if there could be problem with memory chips overheating. Or the GPU riser could be causing the problem. And only thing I can do during freeze is hard reset

Setup
CPU: i5 9600k + Velocity water block
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti Gaming OC 11GB + Water block from aliexpress since I couldnt find anywhere else (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32818056669.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7b1c4c4dZ8J9E3 )
Connected VIA -> Fractal Design VRC-25, PCI-E riser card
Motherboard: MSI MAG Z390 Tomahawk
Memory: HyperX Predator 2666MHZ 2x8GB
HDD: WD 1TB
SSD1: Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB
SSD2: WD 256 GB NVME SSD
Case: Fractal Design Vision S2 RGB
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2

Picture
It could be your HDD, I had to replace my 1TB wd blue, I had those freezing in BF1 and ROE. It had 270+ bad sectors and health was 22%.

ElementCZ

Reputable
Feb 27, 2016
It could be your HDD, I had to replace my 1TB wd blue, I had those freezing in BF1 and ROE. It had 270+ bad sectors and health was 22%.
Actually, I am not quite sure about the problem to be the HDD since I have all the games on SSD and use that HDD only as a storage,
And the Crystaldiskinfo says its health is good as both SSDs are at 100%
But gonna try to unplug the HDD if it solves anything :)

BTW this is screen during Freeze... Everything stucks (mouse, keyboard and screen) however sounds and discord keeps playing. And nothing in the graph suggest its about to happen

Screenshot
ce4be83c6a86ab69d5fa57d7efddaeb5-full.jpg

Last edited:

ElementCZ

Reputable
Feb 27, 2016
Maybe it's ssd, i would try to install game on hdd.

Tried to install the game on the other SSD and also the HDD with no succes.
I think the problem is in the GPU itself. Either its dying, the gpu block isnt installed correctly (some thermal pads doesnt have contact) or there is power problem from either PSU or the riser