Computer freeze while gaming

Apr 25, 2018
My computer randomly freezes when gaming. Normal usage is no problem. Since I started having this problem I have replaced my motherboard, PSU, GPU and hard drive. None of these seem to be the cause. CPU usage is very high while gaming(90-100%) but the temps are normal with about ~70°C. I have also testet my RAM with Memtest overnight with no problems. So i am unsure what the problem is.

jr9

Estimable
- What are your current specs? Give as much detail as possible.

- Try reseating your RAM and GPU. Also try only 1 stick of RAM. Badly seated RAM or GPU (or any PCI/PCIe card) can cause a hard lockup.

- If you didn't reinstall Windows after replacing the motherboard I would try that next.

As you already eliminated RAM, GPU, PSU, and motherboard that only really leaves CPU or OS/software level issues.

Apr 25, 2018
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme 3
CPU: Intel core i7 3770k overclocked to 4,2gH
GPU: GTX 1070
PSU: EVGA 650 QG 80+ Gold
Storage: Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250gb, 1TB Seagate ST1000DM010
RAM: 2x8GB

I have dual channel RAM with this motherboard and realized i didnt use it so i changed one of the Ram Sticks position.
I just reinstalled Windows last week so that couldnt be it.

jr9

Estimable
I'd actually record your overclock settings and reset your BIOS to default settings to revert the overclock. You want to eliminate that especially as the CPU is the only thing left essentially that wasn't replaced. I've seen overclocks that were originally fine start to go wrong as the CPU degrades and the original voltage isn't good enough anymore. If you have a GPU or XMP overclock those would be the next things to revert.

What CPU cooler are you using?

Apr 25, 2018
It is a bequiet Dark Rock something. Unfortunately I had this problem even before I overclocked. I'll try to redo the thermal paste, because last time I did a very poor job.

jr9

Estimable
I would revert the overclocks regardless just to eliminate variables. I've seen machines have freezing caused by two different failing parts. Freezing has a vast number of causes and can be difficult to diagnose.