Computer Freezes after being turned on

PrinceKong

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016
I have had my current computer for about 5 years now and 3 months ago it started having an issue where it would freeze without warning and the only way to fix it is to restart the computer. At first I could use the computer for a few days before it would freeze again, then it was a few hours, and now I can get maybe 30 minutes on a good day and 3 minutes on a bad one before it freezes.

When I say freezing, I mean the screen completely freezes up and the computer doesn't respond, but the power button still turns the computer off. Whatever lights were lit on the keyboard remain lit and pressing caps lock or some other key like that does not add or remove any lights. When I restart it usually gives me the option to boot in safe mode. The computer never fully turns off either, the power lights remain on until I manually turn the computer off.

I have tried testing the RAM and the sticks are working properly as far as I can tell. I restored the computer to a previous state, that didn't solve the problem. My computer ran some kind of memory test, but I'm not sure what exactly it was. The test deleted a number of files it claimed were corrupt and after that, I was able to use the computer for a bit longer than normal before it froze. I reset my BIOS, no luck. I cleaned my case out thoroughly and checked for any disconnections, nothing out of the ordinary. My CPU temps are normal when the computer is actually working and there is no software that I can see that is using up all my processing power. Also, booting in safe mode doesn't seem to cause it to freeze, but the freezes can be sporadic so I don't know for sure. I've looked around online for other solutions and seen a few threads with similar problems, but none of them quite fit my issues nor do the solutions have any effect.

If anyone knows what the problem is and how I would go about fixing it, that information would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise, I was hoping you guys could tell me what kinds of tests I could run to figure out exactly what the problem is. My best guess is either a PSU or a HDD problem. I could easily replace them, but I'd rather not start replacing parts until I have a better idea of what the issue is. Thanks in advance.

My Specs:
CPU: Intel i5 2500k 3.3Ghz
GPU: Nvidia GTX MSI 660Ti
RAM: G.Skill 4Gbs x2
Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB
PSU: OCZ 600W

PrinceKong

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

I will try removing the GPU and let you know what happens. I would use another HDD, but I only have the one. I'm trying to avoid having to spend any money, but if testing a new HDD is the best way, I suppose there are more expensive parts that I could have to get.

PrinceKong

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

Sorry for the delay. I removed the GPU and it still froze with the on board graphics.

PrinceKong

Commendable
Dec 9, 2016

I can't, unfortunately. It sounds like I have to either buy a PSU or an HDD, or both, and test them to find out what the problem is. If that sounds accurate, do you have a recommendation for which I should test first? Or if there is a way to test the PSU or HDD without using a separate one. My main concern is that I will buy and test both the PSU and the HDD and neither will be the issue. I apologize if I'm asking too many questions or asking really obvious ones. I enjoy learning about this stuff and I want to make sure I know how to deal with it in the future should it happen again.

Instead of buying several parts, couldn't you bring your PC to a trusted shop that will identify which component is causing the issue? In the end that may be less expensive.

I suggested the PSU and the HDD because you suspect those components and you may be right, but if I had to fix that PC, my next step probably would be to replace the motherboard. Did you visually inspect it for bulged or leaking capacitors?