Question Computer freezes and i have to force shutdown it

ekalhaikal45

Reputable
Jan 25, 2018
Apologies if this is the wrong section

Recently for a few months, my computer has been freezing on games that are highly demanding. It needed a forced shutdown so I can reboot it again, since pressing the restart button on my case doesn't work.

I've swapped up some parts in the computer, here is my before specs:

GPU: Geforce GTX 760
CPU: i5-760
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8 DDR3 1600mHz
PSU: FSP Group Everest 88Plus 700
Mobo: ASRock P55 Extreme4
SSD: Sandisk Plus 120GB

Computer was doing fine until I constantly froze during gaming.

This was obviously a hardware issue, but at the time, I just decided I should upgrade to Windows 10. This did not fix the freezing issue.

So I went and replaced my borderline ancient computer parts, here are my new and current specs:

GPU: MSI RTX 2060 Ventus GP OC
CPU: i7-10700
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8 DDR4 3200mHz (Limited to 2933 mHz, presumably due to my motherboard)
PSU: FSP Group Everest 88Plus 700
Mobo: ASRock B460M Steel Legend
SSD: Sandisk Plus 120GB (The same exact one)

The issue still persisted, but on lesser games. Noticeably on more higher-end games like Apex Legends.

I'm suspecting the PSU is the main culprit here, I've uploaded my drivers, upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10, but nothing worked.

My main question here is if the PSU is really the culprit, I'm not too computer savvy, so I can't really believe if my PSU here is the main cause.

TL;DR Old computer froze on games where I had to force shutdown, replaced old computer but kept old SSD and PSU and upgraded from windows 8 to 10. didn't work. Suspecting PSU as the culprit

ekalhaikal45

Reputable
Jan 25, 2018
UPDATE:

Have not replaced my PSU yet (It's in delivery though)
However, i've found out that undervolting it seems to have fixed it.
I still want to replace my ancient PSU however, and that's probably the best move