Computer freezes and restarts randomly.

Vlad__

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015
Hello!

This is the title of many threads, but I've checked every single one of them and none of the solutions helped so I might as well try my luck.

Basically, at some point or another, my screen will freeze with a buzzing sound or the pc would restart instantly without warning. The restarts used to be more often, but now it seems like the've been replaced by those freezes which force me to restart the system. This mainly happens while playing games or using software, but after a while of usage. However, it does NOT happen if I just let the program/game run without touching the mouse or keyboard and only if I am actively using it. Sometimes it would crash for no reason, like just after the bootup.

I have suspected many components to be the problem and replaced the following: PSU, RAM and CPU. My current setup is: Abit IB9 (motherboard), nVidia 9800GT Green Edition (GPU), Intel Quad Core Q6600 2.4 GHz (CPU) , 6GB RAM and a 550W PSU.

Other things I've tried: Flashing the BIOS, only one version was bootable though, reinstalling Windows, even Linux, cleaning dust, unmounting and remounting the components, reinstall drivers, running stress tests (which caused no crashes whatsoever) and checking temps (everything cool).

UPDATE: The restarts were due to the PSU. The freezes however are related to this new thread:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3106211/abit-ib9-bios-upgrade.html

Anyone got any ideas regarding the cause and a solution maybe? Thanks in advance!

Vlad__

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

I've tried Memtest twice and nothing was wrong. Although, I tried other RAM sticks too, changed their slot order, without result (one strange thing: if I switch the stick order, the motherboard would make some repeated beeps and the computer won't boot)... The PSU is a LC5550 V2.2 from LC Power.

I have struggled to find a proper review of your PSU, seeing as it's an unknown brand and you have ruled out most other things I think it's most likely a PSU fault. Bad PSU's can cause a variety of stability problems. The only way to know is to try a different PSU but make sure it's a high quality unit

Vlad__

Reputable
Oct 31, 2015

This is the second PSU. Before it I had a 450W one and it did the same. I'll look for a 3rd to see how it goes then.