Computer freezes momentarily then resumes

loopylulu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
I returned from the cottage after being absent for a week and turned on my computer and now it is freezing momentarily. If I am downloading the speeds go down, it does not look like a network problem because the laptop we run off a router runs fine on the internet. I do not get any BSOD's. It freezes for a few minutes or 30 or seconds and then resumes working properly. Any idea what could be causing this. I scanned using malwarebytes but to no avail. I notice my memory usage is almost full meaning I have 2 gigs of ram, half of it is cached and half of it is being used leaving only a few megabytes, that may be the norm as I am checking right now while the computer is running fine.

There are 62 processes running according to task manager. There is something called windows media player network sharing service which I just cancelled.

If I run youtube and it freezes it says shockwave flash plugin has crashed.

I honestly have no idea what caused this and it is frustrating. We just moved and obviously the internet moved with us but it does not seem like a network problem but how would I tell.

thanks so much

alienwearer

Honorable
May 1, 2012
I am having an identical problem on my PC. It will freeze for anywhere between 30 seconds and 2 minutes and then resume as if nothing happened. If I'm playing a game, the action will just pick up where it left off, with absolutely no indication that anything has happened. Same as you virus scan reveals nothing.

I have just re-installed my OS on a spanking new SSD... all systems apparently running as normal... can anyone help? :(

FYI, system specs:

Win 7 Pro
Mobo: ASUS P5Q Pro
Processor: E8400 @ 3GHz (was at 4GHz but dialled down in case that was what was causing problems, but it hasen't solved the problem)
GFX: HIS HD 6790 IceQ X Turbo 1GB GDDR5
RAM: Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 1066MHz/PC2-8500 XMS2 Dominator
HDD: SanDisk 128GB Pulse SSD - 2.5" SATA-III
PSU: Xigmatek NRP-MC651 650W

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
It sounds like something is sucking up all your memory. Task manager will tell you how much each process is using, sort them by memory usage, and it should show you which is responsible. (Anything over 500,000 K (~500MB, .5GB)is suspicious.

Is it possible a browser/flash update simply isn't agreeing with your system? Or does this slowdown happen elsewhere.

alienwearer

Honorable
May 1, 2012
It only happens when the PC is under load, but its a fresh install of Win 7 so there's literally just the bare bones installed... OS, Anti Virus, and a couple of games...