Computer freezes or shuts down while playing CS:GO or watching twitch

EXG

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
Ok, first of all I'm sorry if I post this in the wrong section, this is the one I found the most fitting. So, I know there already are a lot of threads on the internet with people having freeze problems with their computer but I have yet to find a solution to my problem, and so that's why I'm posting this; to specify my problem and see if anyone will be able to help me out?

This is what happens: I play CS:GO and all of a sudden everything stops moving, my cursor and keyboard are non-responsive and the sound completely cuts out, but the image is still on my screen in a frozen frame. This forces me to shut down my computer the with the power button. Often, after I have started my computer again it SHUTS DOWN before I manage to get back into my game... it just completely shut itself off.

Sometimes I can play for 2 hours without this happening (at all, and I quit playing for other reasons) and sometimes it takes 30 minutes. Once it happens, there's no point for me to keep trying to play the game because it just happens more and more frequently after that.

Note that this problem does VERY rarely happen to other games that I play as well (WoW, minecraft, diablo, hearthstone and some various steam games). But then again, it's more common for it to happen while I'm watching twitch/LIVEstream. I have never had it happen with just using my computer for streaming normal videos or casual internet browsing.

I use 2 monitors and I'm pretty sure my computer isn't overheating. Here's my computer specs:
PSU - Silver Power SP - S650 650W
Processor - AMD AM3+FX-6100, 95W
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA - 970A - UD3, Socket - AM3+
RAM - Corsair 4x4 GB 1600MHz 9-9-9-24 (product id: CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9) (RAM was upgraded from Crucial DDR3 1333 MHz 8GB a while back)
Graphic card - ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 970 (Graphic card was upgraded to this from a MSI GeForce GTX560Ti 1GB a while back due to me being able to fry it by touching it (lol I know). The freezing happened before I upgraded this aswell... I hoped changing my graphic card would fix the freezing, but it clearly didn't (It seems to happen more frequently now than before I upgraded though, but that might be because I didn't play CS:GO back then.)
SSD - Intel 330 SSD 180GB 2.5" SATA 3.0
HDD - Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 3.0
Case - Cooler Master HAF 912 Plus
I run with windows 7 Home Premium, and I have nothing overclocked. I also have my drivers up to date and the latest version of DirectX

Any suggestion about how to fix this is of course greatly appreciated. I'm at the edge of wasting a lot of money on a new computer because of how frustrating this is, but Tom's Hardware have proved to be helpful before so maybe it will time aswell :)

EXG

Reputable
Dec 25, 2014
I managed to figure the issue out a while back, so here's what I did, for anyone that reads this and have a similar issue.

Apperantly my CPU was overheatling and for some reason SpeedFan didn't manage to detect it. Anyway, it was simply overheating because of the dust that had collected on top of my heatsink over the CPU, it was a layer of dust blocking the fan from cooling the CPU. So what I did, I removed the fan for the CPU and used a vacuum cleaner with low power (just in case too much power would somehow destroy something) with a plastic end, so that I didn't accidentally touch any components with metal and destroyed it. When I put the fan black to it's place and powered it up, my CSGO never crashed my computer again...

Now before you go ahead and open your computer case and do this, I suggest watching a tutorial or something on how to do it with care so that you don't accidentally give electric decharge to any components or anything else. (or you could get professionals to clean the computer for you!)

Hopefully this will help anyone in the future, because I know how annoying this is! (!!)