Computer freezes, screen flashes/flickers, followed by crash

donsidbo

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
Hi a built my pc a little over a year ago and have recently been going through a strange crashing issue. This most commonly happens when I watch videos or try to play a game. (upon loading the games, not in the menus) My computer freezes and then my screen starts flashing in a very unusual way. (video attached) Rarely, the computer will return to normal, but most often the computer will crash and restart. Once or twice, I've gotten a BSOD from this issue that read, "windows did not load correctly."

I thought it could have something to do with the graphics card since it most often happens with video games but I'm worried that it could potentially also be a windows issue or a PSU issue since my PSU is on the smaller side. (450W)

Sorry, I am still learning more and more about custom pc builds and would greatly appreciate any help anyone thinks they can offer.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1vWWOhrqbQ&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

donsidbo

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Nc64gs

I have since upgraded to 16GB of crucial ballistix low profile RAM and replaced the SSD with a Kingston SSDNOW 300v 120 GB.

I also have a cooler master for my CPU which is not listed in the link.

I cleaned my pc with air about two weeks ago, including removing the graphics card. Perhaps I need to try again?

donsidbo

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

Would using Heaven benchmark work well as a stress test for this? I would like to avoid the $25 cost of 3dmark if I can seeing as I am a poor college student. Thank you for all the help so far by the way. Much appreciated

donsidbo

Reputable
Apr 1, 2014

So it's looking more and more like a graphics card issue. One of two things happens when I run heaven. (Max settings like I used to do when I was first testing after I built the pc)

Either the test runs for about a minute with slightly lower performance than what I am used to, followed by the flickering and freezing. Or the computer freezes as soon as I try to run the test. (This one happened 3/4 times I tried)