computer freezes up with new power supply and new Cdrive. fresh install of win 7

HighAndDry

Honorable
Mar 4, 2015
I am trying to resuscitate an old system. It is an old core 2 Quad Q6600 cpu with an asus P5be motherboard, 8 gig ram. the sytem kept freezing up before so I abandoned it for a few months. Anyway.....I put a new power supply and a new c drive in. it has froze up on me once already with the new components and fresh win 7 install. It also won't shut down all the way. Windows shuts down but the power supply stays on.
I don't want to chase my tail too much more with this thing. What else could it be? Bios? cpu? ram? mother board?
The other compnonets are a sony dvd drive (old. has an ide cable) and another older hard drive. the hard drive is sata.

Yeah, I didn't know that too until I had to fight same problem. My old rig would freeze pretty much anytime I would start a game, and though I knew the battery is dead, I wasn't suspecting it could cause such problems. Yet it was doing exactly that - after replacing it system was again like new. $1 fix :)

HighAndDry

Honorable
Mar 4, 2015
So far the freezing up has stopped. I suspect it may have been the old ide dvd drive. That was making creaking noises. But, to it's credit, it did install win 7. why win 7? Because I had bought a copy for this machine before and didn't want to buy win 10. I did change the battery also. but that was after it had performed well for several hours. So I am hoping that I can use this system for a while.
I have 2 newer systems, and i5 and an i7. But this one will serve it's purpose for a while. (hopefully) thanks. I will report back if I have any more problems.

HighAndDry

Honorable
Mar 4, 2015
OK I spoke too soon. I had a couple incidents today. first I tried to flash the bios from bios. from sweetwater music. I downloaded the update onto a usb drive. bios saw the file but said it was incompatible. so I gave up on that. After that I had to insert the win 7 dvd to repair. It ran fine then. I optimized the system for digital audio. following a tutorial from sweetwater music. I opened up sonar platinum (a daw program) and looped a file with 8 tracks for a couple hours. I had a couple cpu intensive plug ins going too. But it played without a hitch.
I then installed dropbox. I also downloaded and installed winamp. (my favorite music player) I started a playlist and it froze up after about 10 minutes. HMMMM

HighAndDry

Honorable
Mar 4, 2015
I disabled a sound card that I wasn't using. an maudio delta 1010. I am using a focusrite scarletti 2i2 usb sound interface. has worked without incident now for15 plus hours. go figure