Computer freezes when i move the mouse.

deadcar

Reputable
Jan 25, 2016
My computer will freeze for just a second or two, more like a stutter then a freeze, but only when i move the mouse. I can use the scroll wheel and everything is normal though. Just before this, my screen came up with a whole bunch of strange colors and lines, and i had to unplug the HDMI to my graphics card for it to fix itself. Graphics card is an RX-480 4G.

Solution
If a computer can't handle mouse cursor movement without issue, some sort of serious work task is possibly overloading the processor; only time I've seen a mouse stutter/lag in a functioning system was during Intel's Processor Diagnostic Self Test, etc....

Do you have any mysterious processes running in task manager, possibly some malware mining digital currency by a bogus patch or mod for a game? (Some malware evades detection by 'hiding' if task manager is open, btw)

All of this assumes your assorted chipset/GPU drivers are properly installed, and that your temps are under control, as well...
If a computer can't handle mouse cursor movement without issue, some sort of serious work task is possibly overloading the processor; only time I've seen a mouse stutter/lag in a functioning system was during Intel's Processor Diagnostic Self Test, etc....

Do you have any mysterious processes running in task manager, possibly some malware mining digital currency by a bogus patch or mod for a game? (Some malware evades detection by 'hiding' if task manager is open, btw)

All of this assumes your assorted chipset/GPU drivers are properly installed, and that your temps are under control, as well...

Solution