Computer freezes while playing games

Jun 25, 2018
Specs:
ROG Strix 1080 8GB
7700K (overclocked 9% using mobo OC wizard)
Crucial Ballistix 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4
ASUS ROG STRIX Z270E GAMING
HX750 GOLD
Dell S2716DG @ 144Hz
Two peripheral monitors running 1080 60Hz (not used for gaming)

I have been struggling with my PC constantly crashing mid game. Games such as Forza 7 which is a very demanding game and Dark Souls 3 which is less so. It is also varies a lot. I will have some good days where I could play an extremely demanding game for hours straight and not have an issue, or bad days where it crashes 45 minutes into the game. When it crashes/freezes) the peripheral monitors turn off and my main gaming monitor freezes on the last frame displayed. I am not able to exit and have to hard restart computer.

It is so frustrating because I can't seem to fix the issue. I need help figuring out how to proceed. Some background is I got my pc to freeze in furmark after 40 minutes. The GPU was only at about 66 deg Celcius when it crashed. So I don't believe heat is the issue. I tried to get my computer to freeze in furmark using a 660 I also have, but I couldn't and gave up after about an hour and a half. This leads me to believe the 1080 is the issue but there could also be an issue with power draw since the 1080 needs a lot more power than a 660. I really want my issue to be with the PSU because it is the only thing I did not upgrade from my last pc and I really don't want to replace my 1080 because $$$. Although I believe a HX750 Gold has enough power output to power my system with surplus. Any advise on how to diagnose or fix issue?

Jun 25, 2018

I believe I tried OC initially to try to fix issue, because I thought the games were too demanding. I will reset to default and see if issue persists.