Computer freezes whilst gaming

droopy316

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Ok, so I recently did my first build PC with the help of my roommate who's a big gamer. But we've run into an issue where my computer crashes whilst I'm playing games.

My setup is as follows:
CPU: Ryzen 5 1600x
GPU: MSI dual fan GTX 1050 ti
RAM: 8GB 3000 mhz
Power: 600BQ EVGA
MOBO: AB350 ASRock Gaming K4 Fatal1ty
Cooling: Corsair liquid cooler, second hand 4 years old
Windows 10

At first we thought the problem was with the GPU, but we've put his 1080 ti into my rig and the same issue occurs. BIOS up to date. Drivers up to date. Idle temperature around 30-40 degrees. Gaming around 60, can go up to high 60s.

The problem doesn't freeze the whole computer as most of the time I can go into task manager and shut down the computer, so I don't think it's the CPU over heating although I'm looking at getting a new cooling unit anyway.

I also get in the top right hand corner the hdmi input logo appear and it can flicker at times.

We're very confused as to what the problem can be, can anyone help??

droopy316

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Switched hdmi cable and still the same issue.

Game freezes, sound still plays. Can task manager and log out. Confused as hell.

Reinstalled drivers and all up to date with everything

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Can you try other output or is the monitor restricted to hdmi?

How is the ram running? Mean at what speed ... can look with cpu-z ->memory tab for current speed and timings,look at the spd tab for what is possible and with Ryzen it can still give problems to try to run ram at max speed.Can try 2666mhz with matching timings for instance and see if this works better.

Can you maybe test with friends psu as well? For wattage is the psu enough,but the BQ isn't the best you can get.

droopy316

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Just tested in home streaming on steam with my other PC 1080ti 17 -4770k . it froze and crashed still. Even though it's technically using my other computers system.

Seems odd it crashes while not even using it's own components.

droopy316

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Ran Prime95 and throughout my threads stopped working one by one until all failed after 1 hour and a half.
I've not Overclocked, so could this be a faulty CPU or should I manually give more or less voltage? or maybe my PSU is faulty?

I'm very lost now

droopy316

Prominent
Oct 13, 2017
Not test a new PSU no. Heard that it could be an issue, but not really sure how it could be the case.

Underclocked my 1050 ti as it was trying to overclock itself alot, seemed to work although froze again on a 3D mark test.

Done Prime 95 stress test, CPU passed fine not exceeding 75 degrees. Performed Windows RAM test and passed fine.

Wouls say it's GPU except that it didn't crash in my roommates computer.

I do have an issue though with my screen randomly blacking out for a second then coming back on with the HDMI input logo in the top corner. Not sure why it does it, but also wondering if this is the route cause, that it tries doing it whilst running a GPU intensive program which stall the performance.