Question Computer freezing after installing a HDD

tekkenhost

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
Hi,

So a couple days ago i installed a 2tb Hard drive to my desktop and everything was fine until i noticed mini 1-2 second complete freezes on my PC which really should not be happening and never has happend until i installed the hard drive. So realising this i wanted to find out maybe if it was a PSU problem or something else. First i disconnected both power to the HDD and disconnected the sata cable to the motherboard. The freezes stopped instantly. then i just connected the HDD to the PSU and not the motherboard to see if it was a power problem. turns out it wasnt. so then i reconnect it back to the pc and yet again it still somehow freezes.

I have 1 SSD that holds all my programs and OS (Windows 10) and the completely NEW hdd which i recently installed.

I thought maybe it could be a graphics error so i did a reinstall of my GPU drivers but it didnt help.

My system specs are as follows:
i7 7700k
16 GB ram
1080 ti
750 W Corsair PSU (Plat? if that makes a diff)

tekkenhost

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
Try replacing the sata cable. This could maybe be the issue.

Do a CHKDSK command and scan the hard drive. Its possible you could have gotten a bad HDD.

Hello, thanks for the response.

I did the CHKDSK on HDD ( D: )and No errors came up. It's advertised 220mb/s and is able to get that far. So i dont know why it causes my PC to freeze.

Replacing the SATA Cable is not something i can do at the moment due to not having anymore, so i have ordered some on amazon. I also tried moving the Power cable to the HDD to a different pin on the PSU and also swapping the Sata cable ends and making sure they're fully connected and even connected the sata cable to a different sata port on the mobo and I am still getting HUGE 2-3 second freezes.

tekkenhost

Commendable
Apr 7, 2018
I have replaced the SATA Cables and it still happens. So i ordered a new HDD and even with the new HDD it continues to happen. I am stuck to what to do and why this happens.