Computer freezing for 3-5 seconds when playing games

Aug 23, 2018
Recently built a new computer. Every forty-five minutes the current app that I am using, usually a game, completely freezes for 3-5 seconds. Apps running in the background are unaffected, i.e. can still hear music but screen is completely frozen. Moved some games from my ssd to harddrive which seemed to solve the issue. My question is, is there anything I can do besides sending the ssd back in for rma?
Specs:
ASUS ROG Strix Z370-E Gaming LGA1151
WD Black 1TB High-Performance NVMe PCIe Gen3 8 Gb/s M.2 2280 SSD
Intel 8th Gen Core i7-8700
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming
Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3000MHz

Solution
i see you board has 2 slots for M2, try moving to the other slot, that will best tell you if its ssd or something with mobo/bios/drivers. and please check if your M2 now is set to sata (change it to pcie) then try again. if windows dont load (if on ssd) just change it back to sata and i sould work. and if you got warrany for that ssd yea return it if this doesnt help

zero_l0gic

Reputable
Aug 17, 2018
i see you board has 2 slots for M2, try moving to the other slot, that will best tell you if its ssd or something with mobo/bios/drivers. and please check if your M2 now is set to sata (change it to pcie) then try again. if windows dont load (if on ssd) just change it back to sata and i sould work. and if you got warrany for that ssd yea return it if this doesnt help

Solution
Aug 23, 2018

thank you for the response!, ill try all that