Question Computer freezing for 5/10 secs when on heavy load

May 11, 2020
Hi everyone. My first post on this great forum I've been having as reference for years. I don't know if I am posting on the right section. Sorry if not.

I have the following issue as described on the title. Yes, I have googled it for weeks now but nothing seems to nail the issue, so I will describe it better now:

I have an old rig. It is a H55 (1156 socket), PSU is a Corsair CX430, CPU is a Xeon X3470, I have 14GB of RAM, GPU is a GTX 1650. I have tried changing CPU, Memory and GPU for testing, nothing worked.

My computer runs flawless but on some apps or games, specially Mafia 3 and Pubg Lite, I have these frequent freezes. The whole computer freezes between 5 and 10 seconds every now and then. On Mafia 3 it even crashes sometimes, after the freeze. My FPSs are high, CPU and GPU usage at about 60%, temperatures are <= 63C. It doesn't matter which graphic settings I have on.

Whenever I have these freezes, my SSD (which has the OS installed on) spikes to 100%. Meanwhile my CPU, and GPU usages go to about 0%. I noticed on the last freeze that my internet connection also seems to peak at the end of the freeze (when system is coming back).

My CPU has Turbo setting enabled on Bios, which makes it go up all the way to 3.4GHZ on load, but I've tried disabling it which didn't help.

Even if I play the game from another hard drive, the SSD which carries the OS spikes during these freezes, which makes me think the problem is there.

My SSD was installed as IDE, since I didn't know at the time I could/should install it as AHCI.

Anyway, this is really annoying. I am stuck home by the quarantine. My country is not following any OMS recomendations so we're pretty screwed, and my only possible fun is not fun. :(

If anyone could show me some light I would really appreciate. The games sometimes start freezes after playing for 5 minutes, sometimes after an hour. But it always happens, at least 3 or 4 timee every gaming session 2 and a half hours.

The SSD is a kingston 240gb. It is about 85% full right now. PLease, any lights? Thank you in advance for your help.

May 11, 2020
It sounds like it could be pausing to extend the size of the paging file. Check it after booting and then again after one of the pauses. If it IS getting extended, you can go to the Control Panel and make it bigger by default.

Thanks for your answer! I thought of that, I even bought more RAM because of that idea. My page file is set to almost 20gb (approx 1.5x my RAM). I also set some space on my slave HDD to It actually helped with one game I play (buying more RAM) but on the others it didn't make any change at all.