Question Computer freezing/locking up while gaming

llamapoo

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Computer: Ryzen 5 5600G, GIGABYTE GA-AB350M-DS3H, Radeon RX 6700XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB M.2

So while playing PoE, Diablo 4, WoW, I will about once a day just completely freeze or lock up, or whatever you want to call it. I don't blue screen or hard reboot, both my monitors just freeze on one frame, though if I'm watching something on the other screen like youtube or a streaming service the audio will continue on.

Some common questions that people asked other people with similar things when I try to google the issue; the capslock button doesn't work, mouse doesn't work, but my Logitech G935 headset does. I can still hear people talking to me on discord. Event Viewer has the error report of me hitting the reset button on my PC but there isn't anything before that. I've used two different M.2 devices over the months this has been a problem, I've both reset and fresh installed Windows a couple different times. Everything on my motherboard is updated, completely up on Windows updates. AMD is all updated. My PSU is old but I don't know, as far as I know it's fine, a Corsair 750w.

I really just don't know what to do about it, or even what to replace without doing it one by one with new components I might not even need.

Cyberat_88

Distinguished
Your PSU is minimal for said setup, may indeed be the problem, largest of consumers being your GPU and running 2 screens with it. Try running only one screen, see if the power consumption is tamed, if not you know what needs doing.

llamapoo

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Your PSU is minimal for said setup, may indeed be the problem, largest of consumers being your GPU and running 2 screens with it. Try running only one screen, see if the power consumption is tamed, if not you know what needs doing.
Is 750 still good but I need a new one or would you go higher, any recommendations?

SorryBella

Proper
Aug 23, 2023
850W is the standard for gen 4 & 5 setups. Gen 6 aka 600 series motherboards, AMD 7000s & NVIDIA 4000s series GPUs, will need 1000W+.
650-750W bracket is more than enough for a 6700XT. Those 850-1000W is indeed the new standard but thats on the highest end of these systems. Im currently running a Deepcool PM750D with a heavily overclocked 6700XT and PBO Max Ryzen 5 5500 with 1.4V overclock on my RAM. Havent tripped a breaker, most of my crashes are just from AMD driver being AMD driver.

Last edited:

Latest posts