Question computer freezing no idea of the cause please help!

Jun 9, 2023
hope this is the right place!
Up until a few weeks ago my custom build was running flawlessly, now it just keeps freezing, even in idle! not crashing to desktop, or resetting but completely freezing on screen mouse and keyboard dont work and computer stays on.
Ive tried running some diagnostics myself although im not massively tech savvy, I have also tried a completely fresh install with the same problem.
Ive also updates windows, roptional updates to, ran antivirus bought a premium driver updater and updated all of that, nvidia driver is upto date and so it the bios and the firmware
temperature wise everything looks fine in the 30-40 range however i noticed the chipset was hovering around 60 degrees
Specs are
corsair rmx1000 x 80 plus gold
i7 12700k
maximus hero 4 z690
32GB (2x16GB) Corsair DDR5 DOMINATOR Platinum RGB Black, PC5-44800 (5600)
samsung 980pro 250gb main and 2tb backup
rog 3080ti
BIOS 2305
cpu and gpu are aio water cooled

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2023
corsair rmx1000 x 80 plus gold
32GB (2x16GB) Corsair DDR5 DOMINATOR Platinum RGB Black, PC5-44800 (5600), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 36, XMP 3.0, 1.25V 76FC2
ROG MAXIMUS Z690 HERO BIOS 2305

Jun 9, 2023
Those are the memory specs, not the model.

How old, as in, how long has it been in service, is that RM1000?
around 2 years

ive just ran userbenchmark a couple of times and it freezes when it either starts to check the gpu or its a couple of frames in
update: ran again and it crashed testing drives

Last edited:
Try completely removing the graphics card from the motherboard and using the CPU integrated graphics to see if it still does it. If it doesn't then you either most likely have a bad graphics card, or a problem with the power supply, or even possibly a problem somewhere along the way in the PCIe bus on the motherboard. Most probably though, in most cases, if the problem goes away then there's a problem with the graphics card, but don't rule out the other possible culprits either until you've made sure if it's the card or not.

Do you have another graphics card you can use for testing?

Jun 9, 2023
I removed the gpu and plugged into integrated, managed to do a benchmark but it skipped the testing gpu part also tried another benchmark but integrated doesn't support Ray tracing no crashes though under load, plugged my 3080 back in tried another bench mark and interestingly it black screens now but my PC appears to still be running ad the temps on my cpu cooler are still updating

Ok, so, trying to be kosher about things, didn't ask about all that. I assume, based on your post, that you were having problems when you were NOT gaming or doing demanding things. So, the whole point is, does it STILL have those problems when running only the iGPU or not? That is the question. You were not running benchmarks or stress tests when you were having problems before, and you certainly don't need to do so if that is the case, and you are only using the iGPU, because, it's not intensive demand that was driving your issues IF I read you correctly, so you should not need to do that now.

Your iGPU is perfectly capable of delivering ANY kind of video, within limits, and if there are problems related to the rest of the system they should STILL show up. If they don't, then it must be either a card or PSU problem. Of course there is always an outside chance of MB, but it's really doubtful if the iGPU works fine.

Jun 9, 2023
i was previously running user bench mark to try and pinpoint what the issue was..
this morning ive ran a benchmark within steam called boundary benchmark, my pc was able to run both quality and high performace settings without crashing, gpu reached around 76 degrees average, when ever i run user benchmark it just blacks out my screen while running the gpu test but my computer doesnt appear to have crashed so im not sure weather the frozen screen is now fixed or if ive done something to change it to a black screen issue, ill run for a few more days and see how the stability is