Computer freezing, recent build

bnoland84

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
I am having issues out of my current PC build. I built it back in April. I noticed fairly early on that it would occasionally lock up and I would have to do a hard boot to reset. No inputs would respond. It has gotten worse now. I basically can only browse the internet and even then it freezes up some. I have run memtest86+ for 8 hours with no faults. I have run the intel CPU diagnostic test which showed a pass. I ran a test through the windows system for the HHD which also showed to be working properly. I have attempted to run prime95 but it locks up shortly after starting. Last test I tried running it on the "IN-Place large FFTs" with 4 test threads. It locked up about 10 minutes into testing.

I have removed many of the new files I had loaded to see if one of them was causing and issue with no luck at this point. The only thing I haven't been able to find a sure fire way to test yet is the motherboard. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have talked to everyone I personally know to try and help and my knowledge of PC stuff is still quite small.

PC specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold
Optical Drive: LG GH24NSC0 DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Windows 10 (64-bit)

Small update:

I thought I had a bad RAM still. Per the request of ASrock I removed one and was able to run prime95 with 8 threads for 10 hours without issue. I swapped the RAM to the one I thought was bad and it ran good too. I have begun running it again with both back in it. They are offering to replace the MB but I want to be sure this is the issue. Is there anything else I can do?

Another update (10/3/2016)

I have replaced the motherboard (Asus B150I Pro) and also swapped RAM (Corsair Vengeance 16gb). I did a quick wipe on it and reinstalled windows 10 but maintained my files. I also did a malware sweep with malwarebites that showed no issues. It ran 24 hrs on prime95 without issue Friday-Saturday. I got on line today and started streaming and it ran great for a while. I wanted to see how much CPU usage I was getting and noticed prime95 was running. I shut it down and immediately my PC froze. Rebooted and opened OBS and it froze again. I swapped from OBS studio back to Classic thinking that maybe the issue. It seems fine at the moment but I have not tried running OBS again as of yet. The only think not recently replaced is the HDD and CPU.

Update: Solved

I took it to a friend for who is more skilled than I am and had some spare parts we could swap and test with. It turns out the CPU is bad.