Computer freezing temporarily - GPU Failing?

Apr 8, 2018
I've been having an issue for a few months now where my computer will just randomly freeze during any sort of usage. Gaming, internet browsing, video watching... this makes me feel like it couldn't be the GPU but what else would cause everything to freeze?

When the freeze occurs I can still move my mouse and click on things. Typically this just makes the app go white like it's not responding. Audio still works, if I'm watching a video or playing a game I still hear the audio and can oddly still talk to people (in and out) through a game/discord via push to talk. The freeze stays for 1-2 minutes then everything resumes as nothing happened. My GPU temps don't go much beyond 75C at these times but I can't help but think the GPU is the problem. This is driving me absolutely crazy. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've made sure to update every driver I can and windows is also up to date..

System Specs:
Mobo: ASRock 990FX Extreme6
GPU: XFX Radeon r9 290 4GB
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Black 4.0GHz
PSU: Antec TruePower TP-750C
RAM: Ripjaw 4GB x2
SSD: PNY XLR8 480GB

Thanks in advance!

Apr 8, 2018

Thanks for the thought! I tried this, and the issue is still happening! The most recent time my applications froze, but I was still able to click around to browser tabs. The windows bar on the bottom however was completely unresponsive. Wouldn't register any clicks/actions. Could the issue perhaps be my OS...? This is so bewildering to me.

RaidHobbit

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2014

Ok go to C:Windows>System32> and right click on the file called cmd.exe

Run it using administrator mode. The command you want to type in is (its called this on window 10 home 64bit):

sfc /SCANNOW

It will scan your OS for corrupt files and once done will report back if it found any and if it was unable to repair some. Please do this and let us know the results. It will dump error results into a file and tell you where it is. Please let us see what it says. It will be your last boot info we need at the end of the file (it will all have the same boot time).