computer freezing when trying to intall win 7

Turbotastic

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
I recently purchased an Asus G46 laptop and was trying to remove windows 8 and install windows 7. When I changed the boot order to run from an external cd drive (the laptop has no internal drive,) the win 7 loads temporary files then freezes. Is there a setting in the bios that needs to be changed, other than the boot order?

Thanks

Sammer003

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Try to install from a W7 usb boot stick.
Also, try a different USB port when installing and booting from DVD. make sure it is not USB 3.0 when installing /booting from the usb.

Hi :)

Maybe it didn't for you... but it IS causing problems for LOTS of others... search Win8/Win7 Forums here if you don't believe me...

All the best Brett :)

mi1ez

Splendid

Oh, don't get me wrong, it was a nightmare of a process, but getting the installer to run when booting in UEFI just worked.

rickman2k

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2011

make sure only one monitor is connected when doing a install, I know on my desktop it well freeze if I have 2 hooked up

Turbotastic

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
There is a common solution to this problem, although it is not quite popular enough to find with a quick search. Most new HD/mobo combinations are set to recognize GPT partitioning. In order to install windows 7, I had to delete all partitions from the HD. In order to load windows 7 from the CD, I had to change settings in the BIOS, or UEFI. I changed secure boot to disabled, and enabled CSM. This allowed me to launch windows 7 from the cd, use MSDOS to erase all partitions, re-format to GPT, and install windows 7 onto the hard drive. I had also formatted the HD to NTFS just to see what would happen, and the BIOS would not detect the hd. Then I had a bunch of issues getting drivers since Asus in all their wisdom do not make compatible drivers for windows 7. Its almost like they wanted to FORCE windows 8 down my throat. What a pain in the ass.