Computer games crashing to desktop after an hour of gameplay

Sep 24, 2018
Hey all,

So my computer is fairly new in terms of when it was built, and it functions fine. The specs are:

MOBO: MSI B450 carbon pro ac gaming motherboard

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x (stock cooler)

PSU: EVGA Supernova 550W gold plus

GPU: Gtx 1070 8gb

RAM: 3200Mhz Corsair vengeance 2x8

Storage: Crucial 256gb SSD and 1TB WD Blue HDD

2 fan cases

So as the title states, so far games have been crashing after about an hour or so of playing. This has happened with Elex and XCOM 2. I know these games aren’t the most optimized, but I’m concerned it might be something with the computer.

I don’t overclock the CPU because I think AMD has some setting in the x series that automatically does. It jumps to 4.1 ghz and voltage jumps up to around 1.45 under heavy load. The temperatures during gaming are 70-75, with an occasional jump to 80 during really stressful moments. Idle is around 30-40 with voltage at .8-.9

The GPU is usually running around 60 I believe, I’ll have to check again later. It’s OC’d to around 2002 MHz (I think boost is around 1800 with base at 1600. I just use the AORUS stock OC option)

I have 2 displays, but only game on one of them. So could it be my computer? I thought initially my PSU wasn’t strong enough to support the CPU and GPU when voltage went up, but I was under the impression that if that was the case my computer would turn off or BSOD, but only the game crashes to desktop. Occasionally the games would freeze but still have audio. (I could move around and “play” the game, but the screen was frozen)

Any suggestions are helpful, thanks!

Solution
You should check if the CPU cooler is secure, and if so try taking off the thermal paste and re-applying the thermal paste with little more than a grain rice sized spot of thermal paste.

haug_peyton

Proper
Sep 25, 2018
You should check if the CPU cooler is secure, and if so try taking off the thermal paste and re-applying the thermal paste with little more than a grain rice sized spot of thermal paste.

Solution