Computer Ghz Running Very Slow - Please Help

Jun 21, 2018
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-7600K CPU @ 3.80GHz,
I also have a Z270 Killer SLI/ac with my graphics card as a GTX 1060

My computer runs at around 800-1400mhz
I've looked at other posts and they seem to have a "slow mode issue" with the button where you can simply switch slow mode to off, but I'm not sure if my mother board has that since it's a z270 not a z170. Why I try to plays games, my ghz doesn't run fast enough and I get spikes in my fps (frames per second).

My PC works at a decent speed for a little bit when I reset my CMOS inside my computer, but after less than a half of an hour it changes back to 800mhz in the BIOS.

If someone could help me that would be very much appreciated, Thank You.

EDIT: I think the issue might be with my Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor, but everyone where I look I can't find it in my BIOS. Could it be the version of my BIOS?

You can turn down the performance within Windows, but that isn't by default.

But you may be misinterpreting things. For example if you load HWmonitor or CPU-Z, you can watch the CPU core speed. At any given time it will jump around from the CPU idle frequency and the turbo boost frequency (or overclocked frequency) depending upon demand.

I think this idle speed is what you are looking at. In CPU-Z, it gives you the core speed. Under that it gives you the multiplier range. And below that it gives you the bus speed. Multiply the lower and upper multiplier by the bus speed. That gives you the idle "speed" of the processor and the turbo boost "speed" in MHz.

Jun 21, 2018

Hey Terry, I checked my Power Options and it's on High Performance already with 100% minimum and maximum.

Here is a picture of my CPU-Z, but certain times of the day it drops to speed such as 800mhz. This causes sort of "lag spikes".

CPU-Z

OK it is as I thought. On the Link you sent, the core speed is listed as 1900 MHz. That is the multiplier (19) x the Bus Speed (100 MHz) = 1900 MHz .

Right below that core speed in your link is the Multiplier. It gives the range of Multipliers as (8 - 42). Right below that is the Bus Speed (100 MHz).

So the idle speed is

8 x 100 MHz = 800 MHz .

And the turbo boost speed is

42 x 100 MHz = 4200 MHz .

So you are not wrong that the processor slows down to 800 MHz at idle. But when any demand is placed on the processor it jumps up to handle the demand up to the maximum multiplier (42) or 4200 MHz.

Also note that when you overclock the processor you are in essence increasing the upper multiplier in that range. So if you applied a 0.5 GHz overclock (500 MHz), it would appear in CPU-Z as a multiplier of (8 - 47) assuming that you could overclock it that far.

Jun 21, 2018

The Problem is not enough of my CPU is being used even when I put a high demand on the process itsself. Is there a way to fix this issue?
Thanks.

You can set it so all of the cores are used all of the time. That will effectively increase the observed performance. I don't know of a way to increase the actual idle speed. As you mentioned, you are already at 100% in the power options for the processor. The idle speed is designed into the processor.

Here is an Intel forum on the topic.
https://communities.intel.com/thread/124867

Jun 21, 2018

Hey Terry, as I'm playing games and what not my CPU seems like it's not utilizing enough and the CPU Usage drops down even more at random times. Do you possibly know how to fix this issue? That would be great.

From your linked CPU-Z, you have an I5-7600K which isn't overclocked. I don't know what your other components are. But the easiest way to gain performance is to overclock your I5-7600K processor. When you overclock it set all four cores to run at the same frequency instead of being independent. Depending upon the CPU cooler, it may need to be upgraded to handle the additional heat. Since you have an unlocked processor, I'm assuming that you have a gaming motherboard capable of overclocking (that may need to be upgraded as well if it isn't capable of overclocking).

Here are two videos on overclocking and increasing your FPS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUEMS-B1Siw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeQe6pEEtVI