Question Computer has been randomly restarting after black screen ?

Oct 9, 2022
Hi in February I brought a gaming pc from scorptec computers (sentry rtx 3060 red rgb case), about a month in it begin to crash to a black screen. To fix this I did a gpu driver update, that worked for a while but then the problem started again. I then did a full windows reinstall and to my surprise about a month later it begin again.

It used to be about 1 week between crashes to 3 hours between crashes but then it went to doing it continuously. I then did a full reset and completely wiped windows. That worked for a few months aswell but then today begin again and now I am sick of it.

any help would be appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
include the age of the PSU, apart from it's make and model.

I then did a full windows reinstall
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

about a month in it begin to crash to a black screen to fix this I did a gpu driver update
Did you use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, prior to manually reinstalling your GPU drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

Oct 9, 2022
Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard: MSI MAG Mortar B550M WiFi Motherboard
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB) DDR4
SSD: Western Digital SN570 500GB M.2 SSD
HDD: Seagate BarraCuda 2TB HDD
GPU: Zotac Twin Edge GeForce RTX 3060 OC 12GB
PSU: SilverStone Decathlon 650W Gold ATX Power Supply
Case: Thermaltake S100 Black mATX Case
Monitor: Some generic dell work computer.

Age of the psu to my knowledge is 8 months.

I downloaded the Windows os from the official Microsoft site (made sure it was safe and all that).

With the driver update I used the Geforce Experience app to update the GPU driver.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
PSU: SilverStone Decathlon 650W Gold ATX Power Supply

While there is no reviews of Decathlon Gold DA650G, only Decathlon Gold DA850G,
link: https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/02/10/silverstone-da850-gold-850w-power-supply-review/

It did fare quite well. However, Silverstone makes mostly questionable units and Decathlon Gold DA-G series isn't out of the woods either. As said by JonnyGuru:
High wattage CWT GPX based units have problems with failing burn-in test under sub 90VAC input, treat as 230V only.
Source, Tier C, low priority unit: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

Moreover, it doesn't help that your PSU comes with only 3 years of warranty,
source: https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/page/warranty

At current date and time, PSU having 10 years of warranty is the norm, since that shows reliability.

Here, i suggest that you try with 2nd, good and known to work PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx series. Since it is possible that your Silverstone unit, fails to deliver stable enough power for your GPU and/or your GPU produces transient power spikes, which your PSU is incapable of handling.

Oct 9, 2022
While there is no reviews of Decathlon Gold DA650G, only Decathlon Gold DA850G,
link: https://www.thefpsreview.com/2022/02/10/silverstone-da850-gold-850w-power-supply-review/

It did fare quite well. However, Silverstone makes mostly questionable units and Decathlon Gold DA-G series isn't out of the woods either. As said by JonnyGuru:

Source, Tier C, low priority unit: https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...er-list-rev-14-8-final-update-jul-21.3624094/

Moreover, it doesn't help that your PSU comes with only 3 years of warranty,
source: https://www.silverstonetek.com/en/page/warranty

At current date and time, PSU having 10 years of warranty is the norm, since that shows reliability.

Here, i suggest that you try with 2nd, good and known to work PSU. E.g Seasonic Focus or Corsair RM/RMi/RMx series. Since it is possible that your Silverstone unit, fails to deliver stable enough power for your GPU and/or your GPU produces transient power spikes, which your PSU is incapable of handling.
Is there anyway to test this without a second PSU as I have do not have access to one and cannot buy another. Really the only choice I would have for it, would be to contact them and get another psu. Also if it is the psu why are the shut-downs so random. For example the pc lasted a few months for once and then shut down all while under heavy load.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Is there anyway to test this without a second PSU as I have do not have access to one and cannot buy another.

You've reinstalled Win, twice, thus eliminating software issue. Now, it is possible that after 2-3 months of clean install, the software conflict comes back (e.g you install something iffy). Still, i'd be looking towards hardware issue at this point. And to test hardware, you need 2nd, compatible system, where to test out each component individually.

Symptoms you have, point towards PSU issue, hence why 2nd PSU is needed to verify it.

In the case, where you don't have 2nd PC to test out your components, your have 2 options:
  1. Haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay for diagnostics.
  2. RMA your whole prebuilt PC.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Oct 9, 2022
You've reinstalled Win, twice, thus eliminating software issue. Now, it is possible that after 2-3 months of clean install, the software conflict comes back (e.g you install something iffy). Still, i'd be looking towards hardware issue at this point. And to test hardware, you need 2nd, compatible system, where to test out each component individually.

Symptoms you have, point towards PSU issue, hence why 2nd PSU is needed to verify it.

In the case, where you don't have 2nd PC to test out your components, your have 2 options:
  1. Haul your PC to PC repair shop and pay for diagnostics.
  2. RMA your whole prebuilt PC.
Hi I were able to buy another psu what would you recommend for a psu?

Like what would one would you recommend for the parts I have?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Like what would one would you recommend for the parts I have?

RTX 3060 is 170W GPU. Normally, 650W unit would do, but when considering in transient power spikes, GPUs do, 750W PSU would be enough.

As of which one to go for, Seasonic Focus/ PRIME series. Or Corsair RM/ RMi/ RMx/ HX/ HXi/ AX/ AXi series.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Or if you want broader option, then any Tier A PSU from the "source" i linked above.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran
Oct 9, 2022
RTX 3060 is 170W GPU. Normally, 650W unit would do, but when considering in transient power spikes, GPUs do, 750W PSU would be enough.

As of which one to go for, Seasonic Focus/ PRIME series. Or Corsair RM/ RMi/ RMx/ HX/ HXi/ AX/ AXi series.
(All 3 of my PCs are also powered by Seasonic, full specs with pics in my sig.)

Or if you want broader option, then any Tier A PSU from the "source" i linked above.
Hey, im planning on buying a new psu i just wsnt to check one other thing first, could the psu still be a problem if windows is crashing but not in bios. Cause thats what ive noticed in the past few days. I can sit in bios as long as I want without an issue does that mean that its not the psu or is it unrealated?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
could the psu still be a problem if windows is crashing but not in bios. Cause thats what ive noticed in the past few days. I can sit in bios as long as I want without an issue does that mean that its not the psu or is it unrealated?

Most of the times, PSU acts up when there's a load put on it. Sitting in BIOS is essentially running on idle.

Analogy example:
Turning PC on = turning on the car engine
Sitting in BIOS = looking at the car engine (hood open), while car engine is just idling
Booting into Windows = you sitting into the car and selecting D gear (or 1st gear), ready to drive
Tasks within Windows (web browsing, gaming etc) = you driving the car

With car, most issues come when you drive it. With PC, most issues come when you're actually booted to OS and are using it.

When you're within BIOS, and are also able to boot to OS, CPU, MoBo and RAM (for the most part), are working fine. With RAM, you can run memtest86, to see if it produces errors. If it does, time to change the RAM. But error producing RAM can be capable of getting PC to boot to OS, but may give you issues.

Within your PC, your PSU is sub-par and i'd replace that one 1st. Now, it is possible that new, good quality PSU doesn't fix your issues and issue resides somewhere else, but it would be 1 less component to suspect. And since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC.

Oct 9, 2022
Most of the times, PSU acts up when there's a load put on it. Sitting in BIOS is essentially running on idle.

Analogy example:
Sitting in BIOS = looking at the car engine (hood open), while car engine is just idling
Booting into Windows = you sitting into the car and selecting D gear (or 1st gear), ready to drive

With car, most issues come when you drive it. With PC, most issues come when you're actually booted to OS and are using it.

When you're within BIOS, and are also able to boot to OS, CPU, MoBo and RAM (for the most part), are working fine. With RAM, you can run memtest86, to see if it produces errors. If it does, time to change the RAM. But error producing RAM can be capable of getting PC to boot to OS, but may give you issues.

Within your PC, your PSU is sub-par and i'd replace that one 1st. Now, it is possible that new, good quality PSU doesn't fix your issues and issue resides somewhere else, but it would be 1 less component to suspect. And since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC.
Arighty thank you for the explanation it helped me understand the situation better, ill make sure to report the results in a few days. I really hope that its the psu because anything else sounds ten times more expensive

Oct 9, 2022

Analogy example:

Hello, today i bought the RM850X CORSAIR power supply, made sure everything was good and turned it on, for the first 6 or so boots it couldnt even make it to the log in screen. Finally it made it and this is where I am now. Is there any explanation for this because it seemed to worsen it. But saying this im still testing.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Finally it made it and this is where I am now. Is there any explanation for this because it seemed to worsen it. But saying this im still testing.

Do further tests and look how your PC fares.

But in general, if you can boot to OS, CPU and MoBo are fine.

Here, i'd suspect RAM. With this, you need to run memtest86, which will take several hours.

Also, GPU can be suspect, especially sing your CPU doesn't have iGPU in it (biggest flaw of Ryzen CPUs IMO) and you need 2nd, known to work GPU, to test it out.

Your SSD doesn't give much confidence either. Western Digital is great HDD maker (one of the big 4) but their SSDs are lacking.

Oct 9, 2022
Do further tests and look how your PC fares.

But in general, if you can boot to OS, CPU and MoBo are fine.

Here, i'd suspect RAM. With this, you need to run memtest86, which will take several hours.

Also, GPU can be suspect, especially sing your CPU doesn't have iGPU in it (biggest flaw of Ryzen CPUs IMO) and you need 2nd, known to work GPU, to test it out.

Your SSD doesn't give much confidence either. Western Digital is great HDD maker (one of the big 4) but their SSDs are lacking.
Thanks for all your help but i think ill just return it from here try and get a better more reliable system.

Reactions: Aeacus