[SOLVED] Computer has power but is dead

cmathis99

Commendable
Sep 19, 2017
So my system has power (if I plug something into usb it has power) but won’t turn on. At first when I pressed the power button the side fan (not the cpu fan) would spin a couple slow cycles and the power light would blink dimly before it died. Now there’s no response. From just looking at it without taking anything out, it appears fine. I have been noticing a slight burning smell (not really burning but more of a smell of heat) and cleaned out a lot of dust, which seemed to help the smell. Is my cpu dead or could it be something else? How would you troubleshoot/fix?

Solution
List your PC specs.

It sounds like your PSU is dead. Not providing enough power to start the system. If you have another PSU you could try swap them. If not, you could bring to a local repair store and get them to swap out the part and test.

If the PSU failed, it's possible it did some damage to other components.
List your PC specs.

It sounds like your PSU is dead. Not providing enough power to start the system. If you have another PSU you could try swap them. If not, you could bring to a local repair store and get them to swap out the part and test.

If the PSU failed, it's possible it did some damage to other components.

Solution
Feb 22, 2020
Listing your specs as keith12 says is a good idea. it would help a lot of we could see what you have in your system.
A few major components that may be affecting you are your motherboard, your PSU, your CPU or your ram. either one can be a suspect. Most motherboards have a speaker that can help you eliminate if its a ram problem, but without further information on your specs i cant help much.
One way to troubleshoot which component is malfunctioning is by trying each component on another rig, that is if you have one in hand.
I'll be happy to help if you encounter more issues.

cmathis99

Commendable
Sep 19, 2017
Here’s the specs... it’s a 2014 build, I upgraded the graphics card in 2017
MSI Z87I GAMING AC LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR CX-M Series CX750M 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-modular Power Supply
The chip is a 4th gen intel i5
1 TB HD and 256 GB SSD
8 GB RAM
Evga GeForce 1080 ti sc2

Feb 22, 2020
Here’s the specs... it’s a 2014 build, I upgraded the graphics card in 2017
MSI Z87I GAMING AC LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Mini ITX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR CX-M Series CX750M 750W 80 PLUS BRONZE Haswell Ready ATX12V & EPS12V Semi-modular Power Supply
The chip is a 4th gen intel i5
1 TB HD and 256 GB SSD
8 GB RAM
Evga GeForce 1080 ti sc2
Nothing from here looks out of the ordinary but the bronze rated PSU you bought back from 2014 might be the issue, if you havent overclocked anything or played around with your pc it could most likely be your PSU (being that its 6 years old).
But i cant say for sure, the best action to make sure that it was your PSU is to test your components with another rig.
[DONT TEST YOUR PSU, IT MIGHT DAMAGE THE OTHER WORKING RIG THAT YOU ARE TESTING WITH, ONLY USE THE WORKING PSU ON THE GOOD RIG TO TEST YOUR COMPONENTS, SAVE YOUR MOBO FOR THE LAST THING TO TEST USING THE WORKING PSU, BUT FOR EVERYTHING ELSE USE THE WORKING RIG]

Explanation for the bold text: Theres a small chance that if your PSU malfunctioned, it could have affected many other components in your rig, most crucially the CPU and Mobo. But your PSU should have the protections to prevent this from happening, only if its REALLY damaged then things would go haywire.

Last note: If it is your PSU, dont you dare try to fix it. Thats just... no... just dont...
Hope this can help!
-Nic

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

cmathis99

Commendable
Sep 19, 2017
Nothing from here looks out of the ordinary but the bronze rated PSU you bought back from 2014 might be the issue, if you havent overclocked anything or played around with your pc it could most likely be your PSU (being that its 6 years old).
But i cant say for sure, the best action to make sure that it was your PSU is to test your components with another rig.
[DONT TEST YOUR PSU, IT MIGHT DAMAGE THE OTHER WORKING RIG THAT YOU ARE TESTING WITH, ONLY USE THE WORKING PSU ON THE GOOD RIG TO TEST YOUR COMPONENTS, SAVE YOUR MOBO FOR THE LAST THING TO TEST USING THE WORKING PSU, BUT FOR EVERYTHING ELSE USE THE WORKING RIG]

Explanation for the bold text: Theres a small chance that if your PSU malfunctioned, it could have affected many other components in your rig, most crucially the CPU and Mobo. But your PSU should have the protections to prevent this from happening, only if its REALLY damaged then things would go haywire.

Last note: If it is your PSU, dont you dare try to fix it. Thats just... no... just dont...
Hope this can help!
-Nic

thanks! This gives me somewhere to start. Hopefully it’s just the psu

Reactions: Amikami