Computer History 101: The Development Of The PC

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]knellie22[/nom]I went to go enter the giveaway, and wanted to check their privacy policy, and saw this: "12. Participation in the Contest constitutes an entrant’s consent to the Sponsor's use of his/her name, likeness, voice, opinions." Huh? If I enter a contest, Best of Media owns my name, likeness, voice and opinions? Skipping this giveaway, and not going to read the article now.[/citation]

No, it means that when the contest ends, we're able to announce the winners. =)

Have a good weekend,
Chris

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Thank you! No mention of tablets, ipads, blah blah - finally! I am so sick and tired of article after article of tablets and upcoming cell phones, sorry, PDAs, no sorry - smartphones - blah, whatever they are called now!

A great big THANK YOU! The article was a pleseant diversion from the usual news and reports. The article jogged my brain. I took my first computer course in August, 1971 at the University of Nebraska. Forty years have passed and all I can remember are those dang blasted key-punch machines. One wrong punch and everything would be ruined.

I recognized just about all of the individuals and pc's mentioned in this article thanks to the old Ziff Davis publishing empire. At one point I think I subscribed to every pc magazine they published. My favorite was "Computer Shopper". My favorite articles were by Bob(?) and Alice down in the Pepsi Cola Lab of Doom!

I also read all of the member comments. Looks like everyone has their own favorite computer. That's okay! Freedom of choice is pretty cool.

OOPS! I almost forgot something I wanted to ask.

I seem to recall a toy company introducing a computer that used an ordinary cassette tape for data storage. At first the name Hasbro popped into my head but I don't think that is quite right. Then the name Adam or something like that came to me. Anyone remember what it was?

Never mind! Google is my friend. It was the Coleco Adam introduced in 1983. Coleco was a subsidiary of Hasbro.

G

Not mentioning the Commodore Pet or the hugely popular Commodore 64 is a mistake. The Commodore 64 was the machine that knocked TI out of the PC marketplace and basically kept the Japanese from entering the market. It also outsold the Apple II by a huge margin, brought color computing to the masses and really began the popularity of digitized music with its SID chip.

G

You mention Windows, Mac etc., but don't mention the one OS that inspired it all (UNIX)?! GTFO

Status
Not open for further replies.