Question Computer Instantly Shutting Down, Typically When Loading Games

Aug 18, 2022
Hello, as of a few months ago my computer has been instantly shutting down/crashing and then restarting, typically when it is loading games (not loading the actually .exe, but loading into the games); examples of games that frequently cause the crash on load include Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade and Tower of Fantasy. However, the computer also crashes sometimes when actively playing a game (rarely) or while loading something within the game (ie. entering a PvP instance in Tower of Fantasy). The crash used to occur about once a day or less. However, it has gotten worse, and now I seem to have less than a 50% chance of the 2 aforementioned games actually loading instead of crashing the computer. Any help for troubleshooting where the problem is and what part(s) need to be replaced would be appreciated.

Also, as a side note, the computer seems to handle high CPU loads for sustained periods of time just fine without crashing, as it is able to successfully compile maps in the Source 2 engine (which can take multiple hours at high load).

Specs (nothing is overclocked):
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5 GHz
MoBo: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150
GPU: nVidia 1070 EVGA
RAM: 2x Kingston HyperX Fury 8 GB
PSU: SeaSonic M12II 620 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully Modular ATX

Last edited: