[SOLVED] Computer is freezing. Need help badly.

domismeh

Honorable
Nov 18, 2017
My computer freezes when I play games but the sound continues to play. Some games seem to crash out aswell. I'm out of ideas of what can be the cause. Temperatures seem to be steady.
My graphics card, processor, and ram usage-even on the highest settings on these games don't go over 80%. I've also tried to run these games on the lowest possible settings, still resulting in the freezes. It seems to be freezing when playing Rust and Divinity Original Sin 2 (a very non-demanding game). I've tried a few things including hard resetting my pc, checking for viruses.

1080 TI 11GB

i7-8700k

16 GB DDR4-3000 RAM

z370-E Motherboard

850 Watt PSU

Windows 10 Pro

Solution
Type "Windows Memory Diagnostic" in the Windows search bar and follow the directions.

As far as hard drive tests you need to go to the website for your hdd manufacturer and download their software app for disk testing.

For example below is the link to WD's SSD app with the SMART test found under the TOOLS tab. Each manufacturer has their own tool and in general there's a separate tool for SSD's and spinner disks.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279

domismeh

Honorable
Nov 18, 2017
If temps are good and both memtest and hard drive tests show nothing wrong then I would look at your power supply.

Run memtest and a check on your hard drives/ssd's and let us know if everything looks ok.
Temps are fine, drives are fine, and I've tried different 100% working memory and get the same result.

Swapping the memory to different modules does not prove the memory subsystem is good...you may have a low voltage condition or any number of motherboard issues that only show up by running a test and looking for errors.

How do you know the hard drives are fine ? Have you run them drive manufacturers disk software and checked the SMART test results ?

domismeh

Honorable
Nov 18, 2017
Swapping the memory to different modules does not prove the memory subsystem is good...you may have a low voltage condition or any number of motherboard issues that only show up by running a test and looking for errors.

How do you know the hard drives are fine ? Have you run them drive manufacturers disk software and checked the SMART test results ?
How would I go about running these tests, if you don't mind?

Type "Windows Memory Diagnostic" in the Windows search bar and follow the directions.

As far as hard drive tests you need to go to the website for your hdd manufacturer and download their software app for disk testing.

For example below is the link to WD's SSD app with the SMART test found under the TOOLS tab. Each manufacturer has their own tool and in general there's a separate tool for SSD's and spinner disks.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=279

Solution