[SOLVED] Computer is literally thrashed

Jan 21, 2020
Whenever I try to login, it gives me a command prompt screen that says LogonUI,exe. It makes me put in account info and I do, then I login and it takes me to home screen. That’s not all. I can’t open the start menu or search, so I have to try to use different methods to fix this. I also cannot run settings as it says “This app could not start” I tried running DISM and I’d gives me something about a WOF. sfc /scannow stops at 72% and just quits. I pretty much ran out of ideas so I tried everything in safe mode, same results. I can’t even reset my whole PC in the troubleshoot menu, as it says “Your PC cannot reset, nothing has changed” this is giving me a huge headache. It happened after I uninstalled some games in settings and restarted my PC. explorer.exe also doesn’t work and who knows what else

Solution
there are 2 choices.
We can try to run the extended version of DISM
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

run SFC /scannow after this has completed and it should be able to finish

the other choice is a repair install - all it does is replaces windows and takes 1909 back to its base build so you will need the updates again...
Yikes. With so many issues, I'd be more inclined to just back up any important data and wipe the machine.... do a fresh install.

You can grab a copy of Windows 10 1909 from here: Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Grab an 8GB (or larger) flash drive, copy any important data from it first. The media creation tool will wipe the flash drive complete. Once there is nothing left on it you need, run the media creation tool to download and set up the Windows 10 installer.

Once any important data from the computer in question has been copied off, boot from the Windows 10 installer flash stick you made (if you have more than one disk in this computer, at this point make sure you disconnect all of them from the computer, except the one you intend to set up Windows 10 on. This will save you - and potentially us - a bunch of headaches later). Delete all partitions on the disk you intend to set up 10 on. Once all partitions are gone, click Next. The installer will set up its default partition layout. Copy back any data needed once the Windows 10 install completes.

Reactions: exroofer
Jan 21, 2020
Yikes. With so many issues, I'd be more inclined to just back up any important data and wipe the machine.... do a fresh install.

You can grab a copy of Windows 10 1909 from here: Windows 10 Media Creation Tool. Grab an 8GB (or larger) flash drive, copy any important data from it first. The media creation tool will wipe the flash drive complete. Once there is nothing left on it you need, run the media creation tool to download and set up the Windows 10 installer.

Once any important data from the computer in question has been copied off, boot from the Windows 10 installer flash stick you made (if you have more than one disk in this computer, at this point make sure you disconnect all of them from the computer, except the one you intend to set up Windows 10 on. This will save you - and potentially us - a bunch of headaches later). Delete all partitions on the disk you intend to set up 10 on. Once all partitions are gone, click Next. The installer will set up its default partition layout. Copy back any data needed once the Windows 10 install completes.
So I have to reset my whole PC?

Colif

Win 11 Master
It might end up being the quickest way to fix this.

Do you know what version of WIn 10 is installed?
right click start
choose run...
type winver and press enter

Current version is 1909. If you are on that we have some choices.

if you make installer, make it on a working pc

exroofer

Distinguished
Oh ya. That's definitely a fresh install there. With an ssd it should only take a couple hours, tops, to completely reinstall windows, antivirus, browser of choice, etc. and be up and running.

The list of issues sounds like weeks of effort to try and solve, with giving up and wiping the drive happening anyways. So it's kind of a " tear off the Band Aid" moment here.

Colif

Win 11 Master
there are 2 choices.
Download a copy of the win 10 iso from Here - create ISO by telling it you want to make DVD - and then mount that ISO in file explorer (see Here) and then copy paste the below command into command prompt (admin)

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:\Sources\Install.wim:1 /LimitAccess

Where "X" is the drive letter where the ISO is located. Simply change the "X" to the correct drive letter

the other choice is a repair install - all it does is replaces windows and takes 1909 back to its base build so you will need the updates again
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

you may find neither actually help but its worth a try

Solution
Jan 21, 2020
there are 2 choices.

the other choice is a repair install - all it does is replaces windows and takes 1909 back to its base build so you will need the updates again
https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/16397-repair-install-windows-10-place-upgrade.html

thanks, ill try both out. if one works ill give the trophy

Jan 21, 2020
there are 2 choices.

When I try media creation, it says the specified module could not be found ??? I'm starting to think I have a virus on my PC

Last edited:

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
If media creation fails to do you can alternatively use the tool to only download the ISO and then burn it using Rufus: https://rufus.ie/ or Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485 but you DEFINITELY should use another PC for it. It also would not hurt to do a scan using Kaspersky Rescue Disk after you do the repair install. You can also do this with Rufus.

Jan 21, 2020
If media creation fails to do you can alternatively use the tool to only download the ISO and then burn it using Rufus: https://rufus.ie/ or Windows 7 USB/DVD Download tool: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=56485 but you DEFINITELY should use another PC for it. It also would not hurt to do a scan using Kaspersky Rescue Disk after you do the repair install. You can also do this with Rufus.
Hey sorry, I was on the phone with HP. They couldn't do anything. Just also figured out that I can't download anything, and my PC might be uh missing some files. Any help?

Jan 21, 2020
Hey sorry, I was on the phone with HP. They couldn't do anything. Just also figured out that I can't download anything, and my PC might be uh missing some files. Any help?
Tried to download a PC repair thing. Gives me "The specified module could not be found" Googled how to fix it, tried to run sfc /scannow. Stops at 72% and says Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation. Decided to run DISM, says something about a WOF. This headache is killing me. Stayed on the phone with HP for 2 hours, they couldn't find anything that could help me, and directed me to Amazon (Where I bought it) Amazon's support number is closed and I can't find any online help and browsing this forum for a day hasn't given me any results either. I'm at the end of my line here. Please, any one help me with this

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
You will need to create a Windows 10 install media so you can repair install/use the tools in it as your installation is definitely unreliable as is. Find another PC to make a Windows 10 USB, boot your PC using that USB, then try the extended DISM commands Colif suggested. As that DISM is from the install media, it should work. Also, I do suspect your drive, we'll have it checked if you manage to fix the PC.

Jan 21, 2020
Both SFC and DISM refusing to work is a sign of heavy driver corruption and should be handled using an installer USB. So, get one.
This happened after I updated my PC to the newest windows 10 version, and apparently other people are having this issue too. Should I wait until microsoft publishes a fix or just reset everything?

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
As far as I know Windows doesn't have an open issue that'd wreck your installation that bad. Your installation is in a worse condition than a bug would ever create. You should create that media and decide whether you want to reset it all or try Colif's way of DISM.

Reactions: The_Prophecy