Computer is Power Cycling On/Off

MortalLesuj

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
A few days ago my computer started to enter this on/off cycle whenever the power button is pressed. All fans will turn on but the computer shuts down 2 seconds later failing to enter POST and repeat. I have read and followed the bench guide that is posted here and it will run fine with just my PSU, motherboard, CPU cooler, and video card. However, as soon as I add my RAM, it continues to go into the on/off cycle. I have tried putting each RAM stick in separately in each slot and also have tried with both sticks in in both combination of slots. In all cases, the computer enters the on/off cycle. I do not have a spare PSU or extra RAM sticks that I could use to test out alternative cases.

Before ordering replacements I would like to know if this is a problem with the RAM or could it be some other part?

Any help is appreciated.

This build is around 6 months old.
CPU - 4790k (not overclocked)
Motherboard - ASUS Impact VI
GPU - MSI 770 Twin Frozr
CPU cooler- Noctua-U12S
RAM - 2 x 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X
PSU - Seasonic 550W Gold
Case - Fractal Node 304

MortalLesuj

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

No I have not overclocked. Yes, I have tried clearing CMOS.

MortalLesuj

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

Is it likely that it would be the memory since both sticks are suddenly not working in neither of the dimm slots? Also, why does it not enter this on/off cycle when RAM is not inserted, but does so when it is inserted? Thank you for the help.

MortalLesuj

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

I unfortunately have no way of borrowing any other RAM. However, when I was tinkering with it today it went to POST after cycling around 10 times. (Only CPU, CPU Cooler, RAM, and PSU installed.) When I turned it off it went back to cycling.

Edit: Have been unable to replicate booting to POST.

MortalLesuj

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Update: Tested the PSU with paper clip and it seems to run fine. I believe the problem is narrowed down to the motherboard or the CPU, but I could be wrong.

Update 2: I've completely taken it apart, reseated the CPU (found no bent or burnt pins), and reapplied thermal paste. Still no success once RAM is added. I find it odd that both sticks would all of a sudden be defective. Would prefer to narrow it down a little more before going out and ordering a new motherboard, PSU, and RAM.